17

Jenny stood in the middle of the ballroom, just as the note had said. She was a bit early and wasn't expecting to see Zayn for another half and hour. The ballroom was abuzz with activity as people ran around preparing the room for the ball.

In one of the corners an orchestra was setting up for rehearsals, there was so much to see and take in, she hardly noticed Zayn sliding up to her. She felt his arm come around her, and could feel his face by her neck. She turned and came face to face with him. God he was beautiful.

"Come let's get out of here." He leaned into her neck. "I want to kiss you." He whispered in her ear. She didn't need any more of an invitation, and followed him out of the door as she heard the orchestra start tuning their instruments.

Once outside, Zayn pushed her behind a pillar and kissed her. It felt urgent and desperate, as if he needed to get his fix. She opened her mouth for him and he slipped his tongue inside, but as soon as their tongues touched the energy of the kissed changed. It went from hard and passionate to something quite the opposite. It slowed down, it became soft and gentle and he started running his hands through her hair. She did the same, running her fingers through his black and silky hair. The kissing stopped, but they stayed close to each other, their foreheads and noses touching as they held each other there for the longest time until Zayn broke it.

"I'm starved. Let's go for lunch." He took her by the hand and lead her out of the palace and into the massive garden. It was only when they were halfway across the lawn that she noticed the picnic basket in his other hand.

"Are we going for a picnic?" They were almost jogging across the lawn now.

"We are." Zayn suddenly let go of her hand "Are you fast?" he was walking around her now.

"Why?"

"Last one to the end of the garden is IT." He screamed and started running across the lawn taking huge strides.

"You're kidding right?" Jenny shouted after him. But he didn't stop and kept on running. Jenny hadn't played this game since she was a child, it was so silly, it was so childish, and it was so fun she thought as she started running across the lawn.

When last had she'd run like this? Only downside was that she was so unfit and by the time she reached the other side she was totally out of breath. Her hair had fallen out of its pony tale, and beads of sweat were starting to appear on her forehead. This weather was way too hot for jogging.

Zayn stood there waiting for her, making a big show of casually leaning against a railing as if he'd arrived there an hour before her. As she got closer she realized the railing he was leaning against was the only thing stopping him from him from falling down the sheer cliff behind him. The entire island, she'd read, was surrounded by sheer, white cliffs and that had been the reason for building it there. Hundreds of years ago, when the whole area had been at war, this was the safest place to be. Jenny walked up to the railing and looked over, the sea looked very far away.

"Come." Zayn opened a small gate.

"Down there?" She couldn't hide the concern in her voice. She wasn't exactly the biggest fan of heights.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to make you climb." He said, taking her reassuringly by the hand and guiding her through the gate. She was dangerously close to the edge now and she was terrified. Zayn must have sensed this and slipped a large arm around her waist. Attached to the side of the cliff face was a motorized tram, with relief she realized that this was the way down.

The ride down wasn't nearly as terrifying as she'd thought; all the while Zayn had held her, which went a long way in waylaying any fears she had. The tram came to a stop at the foot of the cliff, where the white powdery beach lay.