Chapter 46

ZAYN

By the time Zayn got back to the room that night, he was drunk. He'd had way, way too much to drink- but that was really the only way he'd managed to get through the day. The ceremony, the reception, the speeches and her... she smiled the whole day like the cat that had gotten the cream. She and her family- his family too- had always wanted this.

He gulped out of the bottle of very expensive Champagne. It reminded him of the first night he'd spent with Jenny, here in fact. In this very room. The wedding suit. Any moment his bride would be up here, no doubt wanting to consummate their marriage.

But he was in no mood for that. Not with her anyway. Jenny was another story though. He fell onto the bed with the Champagne and continued to gulp it down like water. And just as he'd predicted, his wife, came through the door.

"Hello husband." She looked down at him and started peeling her clothes off with a smile. Her dress went first, revealing the sexy, pink lace underwear that he had brought for her all those months ago when they'd been in Monte Carlo. She looked down at him and he could see what she wanted.

Perhaps he should just give it to her. Fucking her might be a good distraction right now to the painful feeling of his heart breaking. After all, he could do that. He was good at it. Pushing feelings aside and fucking them away.

He put the Champagne bottle down.

"Come here." He half slurred the words.

She smiled at him, maybe if he closed his eyes he could imagine it was her. Sophia climbed on top and straddled him. She rubbed herself up against him and...

Nothing happened. Nothing stirred and stood up. He reached out and put his hands around her waist and ran them up and down. She threw her head back and ground into him and again... still nothing. His body was just not responding the way it should be right now.

He went around the back and undid her bra. Her breasts were big and fake and looked hard to the touch, not like Jenny's. Sophia grabbed his hands and ran them over her breasts. She continued to writhe and grind into him and he was expecting something to happen, that familiar thing that clicked in him when he wanted to escape and forget and disappear....

She leaned down and started to kiss him, he kissed her back, trying...trying to feel something, but there was nothing.

"I can't do this." He pushed her off him and he stumbled to the other side of the room. "I can't." he said again.

"Playing hard to get are you?" She stood up and dropped her panties and started walking towards him. He held his hand up to keep her back.

"I can't."

"Please don't tell me it's her, seriously? Her?"

Zayn moved away from her again. "You knew what this was coming into it. You knew this was practically an arrangement marriage-'

"What's that got to do with fucking Zayn? It's not like that has ever stopped you before."

"Well maybe I'm different now."

She burst out laughing. "I doubt that, maybe you just need a little bit more convincing." She approached him again and without much warning, stuck her hand down the front of his pants.

He stepped away again. "Stop. Just fucking stop."

A look of rage passed over her face. "Please don't tell me you think you're in love with that chubby, freckly girl."

Zayn lurched forward. "Hey! Don't you ever fucking talk about her like that again."

Sophia burst out laughing. "Oh my God has it actually happened... the great Zayn has finally fallen in love?" She walked away from him, picked up the Champagne and sipped it, "It doesn't feel nice does it," she turned and looked at him, "the feeling of your heart breaking." She took another sip, "Oh well, you've probably got what's coming to you finally."

She climbed into bed and lay staring up at the ceiling, "So where are we going on honeymoon? I hope it's somewhere cold, this heat is killing me."

Zayn stood and looked over at her. Was this his life?

He was suddenly filled with panic. Panic and regret. He'd done the wrong thing, he'd done the wrong thing. He should have married Jenny and let Amir be king and let the dice fall wherever they were meant to fall.

He had to get out of the room. He ran for the door and burst through it. He ran down the corridor as fast as he could all the way to Rafiq's room. When he got there he banged on the door and it was opened.

He pushed his way past him. "Tell me I did the right thing?" He asked feeling drunk and frantic and panicked. "Tell me why I did it again?" He sat on Rafiq's bed and looked up at him.

"You did it because Amir cannot become King. You did it because your dying father asked you to. You did it to keep her safe from Amir."

Zayn nodded. "Then why does it feel so fucking wrong?" He put his head in his hands and started crying. "Fuck." he said again, as Rafiq came and sat next to him and draped an arm around him.