Chapter 45

JENNY

Jenny drove to the top of a hill just outside town. At the top of the hill was a small shallow cave that she and her friends had hung out when they were younger. There was a large rock outside the cave and if you sat on it, you could see for miles and miles around. She climbed out the car, munching the ginger biscuits. Emma was right, they were great.

She sat down on the rock and looked around. She could see the small street below with the shops, the town hall, the church, school and the old hotel all dotting it. And then, stretching out from the small street, the farms that spread out in all directions. It was quiet and peaceful. She pulled the pregnancy test out of her bag again and stared at it.

Two lines. Yup, there they were. They were not going anywhere. She held her head. She wasn't sure what to feel. Whether to be angry at herself for being so fucking stupid, or be happy because she was having a baby- no matter who's it was- or to be terrified because she was jobless, penniless and living with her parents and about to become a single mom because her baby daddy was fucking married! Should she even tell him, it would probably just be a little inconvenient speck on his perfect royal life. His perfect royal bride would not like it at all- that's for sure.

She dug in her bag again and pulled out her wallet where Rafiq's number was. She was overcome by a desire to phone him - maybe he would know what to do. She looked at it for a while and then scrunched it up in her hand and threw it to the bottom of her bag again.

She couldn't really tell anyone about this either. She had signed all those papers about this being confidential, about legal action being taken if she told anyone about what happened. No, she was all alone in this and there were only three things she could do.

Have the baby. Abort the baby. Or adopt the baby out.

Jenny ran her hands over her stomach and wondered if she would look and sound as happy as Emma was when she spoke about her baby. Some people tried forever to have babies and never did, and now she had one. A tiny little life growing inside her. She couldn't help the smile that broke out across her face.

A baby. A cute, pudgy, smiling, cooing- but crying- baby. If it was a boy she could run around with it outside and climb trees. If it was a girl, maybe it would have fiery red hair that she could plait and tie up with cute little pink bows. And maybe it would look like Zayn? With those dark features and signature green eyes.

She got up and dusted the sand off her skirt. There was only one thing to do. She would have the baby and raise it as best she could and hopefully give it the life it deserved. And one day when he or she asked where and who dad was... she'd cross that bridge when she got to it.

But she'd never been pregnant before. What did she need to do next? Have a scan? Didn't she need to take vitamins or something? What did she need to buy?

Her mind drifted to Emma again. Perhaps she'd ask her about that since she was pregnant and Jenny didn't know the first thing about this. She almost laughed out loud, when they were kids they had joked about being pregnant together and their kids growing up as best friends too.

This world works in mysterious ways and maybe she was exactly where she was meant to be, no matter how hard and horrible it all felt right now. Maybe this was exactly how it should be.

Just her and her little baby.