Chapter three.

“They’re taking me down to the lake in a bit,” Percy said. “They think it’ll heal me.”

“And what do you think?” Annabeth asked.

“I think that I want my girlfriend to stay here with me so I can spend every second with her before it is too late,” he said.

“I think I want my boyfriend to stay alive,” she snapped.

“We both know I’m a fighter, Annabeth,” Percy said with a small sigh. “If you feel that you have to go and search for a non-existent cure, then I’ll be here waiting when you get back. I promise not to die on you.” He smiled.

Annabeth studied him hard. The way he held himself together, even as he lay on an infirmary bed, made her admire him. She felt a tear cascade down her cheek. “I am so in love with you, Percy Jackson.”

Percy’s smile faded. “When you get back,” he began, “I want to visit the Roman camp with you, again. I want to show you the village. Annabeth, we could—”

“We’ll talk about it later,” she cut him off. “Just get some rest, Seaweed Brain. I’ll be back before you know it.”

“Annabeth,” he called. “I want to know what the prophecy said.”

She hesitated, thinking back to her visit with Rachel Dare.

One must pay the cost

To save what will be lost

To fix a fatal flaw

You must face your worst demon

Daughter of Athena’s final call

She looked at Percy’s heart-wrenching face one last time. “I’ll be back soon.” She turned and left before he could protest any further. Annabeth felt a few more tears slip before returning to her cabin to prepare for her quest. It was only her second solo adventure, but she had no doubt that she would return to camp with a cure in hand. Percy would grow old with her, no matter what.

Percy aimed for the bucket, but he couldn’t sit up quite far enough, and some of his vomit landed in his lap. He would’ve cared more, but he didn’t have the strength to. He’d been isolated in his cabin, where only healers, Grover, Tyson, and Chiron were allowed to visit. Speaking of Tyson, he’d shown up with Grover around three hours ago. It was almost enough to make Percy smile, but their reunion was interrupted when he went into a coughing fit. Annabeth had been gone for three days, and Percy’s condition had only worsened. Percy remembered the curse that a Titan warrior had cast as they fought in Olympus, he just didn’t understand it until he was lying in his bed, unable to shower or eat. If Percy even went near the water, his skin would start burning. The water made him die quicker, if anything.

Annabeth had gone where she knew her worst demon resided—Olympus. Her mother Athena was awaiting her arrival, apparently aware that she’d be making an appearance. “It is about time you showed up,” Athena greeted. “I’ve been anticipating your visit for three days. What has taken you so long?”

“Monsters were guarding the portal in New York. I traveled across the country, to California, the only other portal I can find. It takes more time than you’d think,” Annabeth answered.

“I understand you’re here for your friend Percy,” Athena said.

“I need your blessing, Mother. Tell me you accept our relationship. Tell me you are looking forward to my happiness with him. Please, Mother.”

“I will not give you my blessing. That boy is a son of Poseidon. I will never graciously watch you waste your life with that monstrosity. I will not!” she objected.

“I won’t live without Percy. I will climb to the top of the Washington Monument and fling myself to my own death. Can’t you hear it now? The stories of how the Daughter of Athena: the goddess of war and battle strategies just gave up? That’ll be one heck of a headline,” Annabeth threatened. She’d never even considered suicide, but it seemed like a very good threat to her mother. “How embarrassing would that be?”

She saw her mother glow with rage. She almost thought she’d taken it too far when Athena let out a giant sigh. “I will give you my blessing, darling. But never threaten me ever again.”

Annabeth nodded in understanding. “Thank you.”

She had faced her own demon, now she’d just have to go to Zeus. She knew exactly how Percy was to be healed.

Percy woke in a jolt. He was in an intense cold sweat. He wanted to be covered with blankets, but he was sweating so much that his skin began to burn from water contact. He was in misery. He would’ve given up days ago, but he had to keep his word to Annabeth. He would keep fighting for her. He had started to get dehydrated, though, and if he didn’t die from the Titan’s curse, he would soon die from lack of water.

He stared out on the lake, and he could’ve sworn  he heard Poseidon’s voice.

She is coming, Perseus. Hold on.

“Please!” Annabeth exclaimed. “I know you think it’s his time, but it isn’t! He isn’t ready to die. The world still needs Percy Jackson.”

Zeus looked smug. “His fatal flaw was going to catch him. Better now than ten years from now, when you have kids, and he leaves you to take care of them alone.”

“Percy is only eighteen, Zeus. I beg you,” she pleaded. “I am in love with the son of the sea god. Please, give me what is necessary to cure him.”

Zeus opened his mouth to protest, when Aphrodite appeared from around the corner. “He cannot give you what you are searching for, sweet heart. It’s very simple, really. All it takes is dragon’s sweat, and a goddess’ tear.”

“How do you—”

“I wouldn’t question me, dear. I am just a sucker for tragic love stories, but to see them have a happy ending, that’s priceless. Here is the tear you will need. If you dare, snag a bead of sweat from that guard dragon of yours at Camp Half-Blood. The curse will be broken. But beware—everything comes with a price.”

Annabeth snagged the bottle from the goddess’ hand and bolted out of there. She whistled as loud as she could, and sure enough, Blackjack the pegasi came swooping to her rescue. “We have to get to camp, Blackjack. Now.

When they arrived, they were greeted with a celebration. Annabeth quickly explained that her quest was not yet finished. Chiron was appalled. “Annabeth, my dear, he has mere minutes left. If you don’t get there soon, I am afraid it will be too late.”

Annabeth’s heart was shaken as she ran to the shield of the camp. Their dragon stood guard, and thank God it was a humid day, because she saw sweat glistening on his scales. She calmly approached the dragon, and he didn’t pay any notice to her. She had already enveloped a bead of sweat in the bottle and started running to Poseidon’s cabin by the time the dragon saw her, and by then, she was no threat to him. She made it to the doorstep of Percy’s room in record time. Her heart was beating like a drum, and she was panting like a dog. She approached Chiron outside his bedroom, and his face looked grief-stricken. “Annabeth,” he breathed out. He looked pained as he shook his head softly.

“No. No, no, no.” Annabeth became hysterical, and she burst through the door. She cried out when she saw a blanket covering her boyfriend’s body.

Chiron stood next to her, trying to stay strong. “He’s dead.”