Chapter twenty.

It had been a few days. Maybe four, give or take, Annabeth wasn’t sure. She’d been moping, and the only time she would leave her cabin was to eat. Even  then, she didn’t have much of an appetite, because her so-called half-sister was making eyes at the love of her life, across the room.  Annabeth was miserable, and Percy was fine.

Or so, she thought. But really, he was just as screwed up as she was. He hadn’t slept in four days, he just stayed up, staring at the ceiling. He was forced to stay awake and think of how much he missed her. And then, he’d think of Samantha, and it felt a little better. But that was short lived, because Annabeth could never be pushed out of his mind.

At meals, Samantha never took her eyes off of him, and he knew it, but he chose to ignore it. Percy would stare down at his food, blocking out everything about her. Because, as much as Percy was fascinated with her, she’d been acting different since Percy had told her about his break up. She was pushy, demanding, and she’d lost the things he’d liked about her. Of course, she was still beautiful, but her innocent doe-eyes didn’t look so innocent anymore. They looked….angry.

Annabeth’s scars were healing, but they weren’t anywhere near gone. They never would be, the healers told her. But she didn’t really care. She’d always heard the saying, “Scars remind us who we are.” That saying is what made her smile every time she looked in a mirror. Her scars reminded her of Percy, and of Hera, and of pain.

Hera hadn’t reappeared at camp, but neither had Sarai, her daughter. Annabeth wasn’t upset that she hadn’t seen Sarai, she was almost glad. With a freshly single Percy Jackson, she had enough girls to avoid as they fawned over him.

Percy didn’t like the attention. He’d always been the relationship type. And once he was in a relationship with Annabeth, no one else had ever mattered. Annabeth saw who exhausted he was when she’d catch girls talking with him, but he never had the heart to downright turn a girl away. Normally, he’d look at Annabeth with pleading eyes, and she’d come to his rescue. But, not anymore. This time, it was Samantha that shooed the girls away, although Percy never asked for her help.

And that’s when Annabeth saw it again, the way Samantha was analyzing every inch of Percy, as if about to strike. Of course, she never did, but Annabeth wasn’t any less suspicious. She watched as Samantha’s hand entangled with Percy’s, and for a moment, Annabeth thought she would lose her lunch. That’s when she knew she needed to get back to her cabin.

She rushed out of the door, sadly running by Percy, and didn’t stop until she was in the warmth of her bed, listening to music that just helped her pity party.

Percy frowned when he saw Annabeth, because he knew she’d seen Samantha hold his hand. He felt sick, because the look on her face turned his stomach upside down. She looked disgusted, and devastated.

He would’ve chased after her, and made sure she was alright, but he remembered what Chiron told him, and he held his ground. He had to be a leader at camp. He couldn’t be weak, no matter what. Even if it meant hurting Annabeth.

He pulled his hand away from Sam’s and walked away. He was going to go help with training somewhere. He hadn’t done it in a while, and maybe if he threw himself back into fighting, he would feel better.

Samantha sighed as she watched him walk away, and decided to go back to her cabin. Assuming that’s where Annabeth was, she was going to have a good talk with her half-sister.

When she walked in the cabin, she found Annabeth on her bottom bunk, with her eyes closed and headphones in. She immediately walked over, and ripped her headphones out in one tug. Annabeth’s striking eyes shot open, panicked for a minute before they registered her surroundings.

“Hello, Annabeth,” Samantha greeted, sounding poisonous.

“Um,” Annabeth said, baffled, “hi, I guess.”

“Okay, let’s cut to the chase,” Sam said. “You make Percy sad, and I don’t like seeing Percy sad. So, I need you to stay away from him, if you really want what’s best for him.”

Annabeth had seen this in movies. The new girlfriend fending away the old one. She had expected it, but not this soon. “Yeah, whatever,” she said. Of course, she would never stay away from Percy, but Samantha didn’t need to know that.

“Huh, that was easy,” the girl said, smiling in victory. “I’m glad we have an understanding.” And then she went, taking part of Annabeth’s dignity with her.

Annabeth stuck her earphones back in, deciding to let it go for now.

“Long live the walls that crashed through,

How the kingdom lights shined just for me and you,

I was screaming ‘Long live!’

All the magic we made,

And bring on all the pretenders,

I’m not afraid,

Long live all the mountains we moved,

I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you,

Long live that look on your face,

And bring on all the pretenders,

One day we will be remembered”

Annabeth smiled, thinking of Percy. This song reminded her of both of them. Long live Percy and Annabeth, she thought, purposely putting his name before hers.

AN: REVIEW, please! :) I hope you all havea great weekend! I'm not sure if I'll get to update, because I'm going to a Hunter Hayes concert tonight, and I have a soccer game tomorrow morning! So, please remember to share this story with your friends! Love you guys xx