Chapter four.

“No,” Annabeth said, refusing to let her tears fall. “Take the blanket off of him.”

“Annabeth—”

“I know what I’m doing,” she interrupted Chiron. The two healers removed the blanket. Annabeth’s breath caught as she saw her boyfriend laying there, his chest wasn’t rising or falling. He was lifeless. She slowly approached his bedside, and uncapped the vile. “You can’t get away from me that easy, Seaweed Brain,” she whispered. A few hot tears fell as she forced his mouth open, and she dripped the toxin in.

It had been ten minutes, and nothing had changed. Annabeth was clinging to Percy’s hand when she heard someone clear their throat behind her. She glanced over her shoulder, and she wanted to collapse. “He isn’t dead.”

“My dear girl,” Poseidon began. “The pain of a father losing his son is harsh, and I have experienced it many times. Chiron called me to say my goodbye two days ago, but I did not believe Perseus would be gone when I arrived. He is the strongest of my children. I am most proud of him. I was devastated when I received news that Percy had passed on to Tartarus, but now, as I stand with you, I tell you with great confidence, he is not dead. Your toxin has entered his bloodstream, and his heart is beginning to beat again.”

Annabeth let out a deep breath she had been holding in. “Thank you, Poseidon.”

“I must return to Olympus. Tell my son I love him when he awakes, and his power is much more than he is aware.”

Before Annabeth could ask what he meant, she had to advert her eyes, as Poseidon’s figured shimmered and vanished.  Then she heard footsteps. She didn’t want to leave Percy’s side, but she forced herself away from him, and when to meet the person approaching. When she was face-to-face with him, she regretted it. “Leave me alone, Jason. I don’t care why you’re here. You need to turn around and leave out that door. I’m not in the mood for your perverted pick-up lines. If you want my advice, you should go find Piper and make up because truthfully, you haven’t been the same without her, and you’re causing the entire camp trouble.”

Jason watched her patiently. “Are you finished?”

“For now,” she grumbled.

“Listen, I just heard about Percy, and I wanted to—”

“Heard what about Percy?”

Annabeth jumped, turning on her heels. Percy Jackson, the love of her life, was standing, with help of a wall beside him, with that stupid grin on his face. She threw herself into his arms, and he was so weak, they fell backwards. Percy laughed, but she could tell he didn’t feel very good. “I thought I lost you,” she whispered to him.

“No way,” he said, gently. “I guess I can really say I love you to death, now.”

Annabeth’s heart raced, and she slowly got to her feet, and helped her boyfriend up. “Don’t ever leave me, again.” She said as she let a few tears slip out.

“Never,” he said. “I promise.” His lips met hers in a tearful, powerful kiss. When they pulled apart, she realized Jason wasn’t there anymore. She held Percy even tighter, and they stayed that way for the next few hours, ignoring the rule about girls and boys not being in cabins alone. After what Percy and Annabeth had been through, she figured Chiron could find it in his heart to overlook it.

The next morning, Percy was rushed back into work. He looked so overwhelmed that, a couple of times, Annabeth made them give him a break. She understood his role in everything. Percy was the leader. Chiron was their teacher and trainer—but Percy had learned and trained to his best ability, and it was his turn to be the man in charge. “You look really tired,” she told him on their walk.

“I died, Annabeth. I don’t wanna go to sleep ever again.” She thought it was a joke, but she saw worry in Percy’s eyes.

“Did you sleep at all last night?”

“No way,” he said. “I just watched you. It was peaceful.”

“Percy—”

“I’m okay, Wise Girl. I’ll get some rest tonight. I promise.”

“My cabin didn’t tell Chiron about how I was missing all night. I think they understand, you know. Maybe I could stay over again tonight,” she suggested. She never wanted to spend another moment separated from Percy. She was starting to think about the Roman camp. It was usually Percy that brought up their future, but she was starting to think about it more and more. She knew she was only eighteen, but marriage seemed like such a natural decision for them.

“That sounds good,” Percy said.

She panicked, thinking she had said something without realizing it. “What sounds good?”

“You staying over tonight. Didn’t you just ask about it?”

“Oh,” she said. Her face must’ve looked as red as a tomato. “Yeah, right.”

Percy!” someone from the Big House called out.

“Looks like my break is over,” he sighed.

Annabeth took his face in her hands, and gave him a proper kiss. “Go save the world, hero.”

He smiled, but it disappeared when he started walking away. Percy felt like he was carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, and trust him, he knew what that felt like. Sure, he liked being the leader, and who everyone turned to for help, but he also felt like the entire world’s fate was depending on him—which it was.

“I’ll do my best,” he murmured in response.

When he got to the Big House, it was even worse. What he saw almost made him pass out, and he grabbed a chair nearby to support himself on. “Percy,” Leo said, rushing toward him, “it isn’t pretty.”

Percy walked into the main hall, and settled his eyes on Nico di Angelo beating the living Tartarus out of Jason Grace.