Chapter twenty-two (part one).

A searing pain ripped Percy from his sleep. It started in the slit where Samantha had stabbed him, and it ignited his entire body. He thought he was screaming, but he couldn’t hear himself. Then he knew he was screaming because someone came in and sedated him. The last thing he could think of before being pulled out of consciousness was that he seriously couldn’t hear. He was deaf again.

Being woken up was a relief, considering he’d had nightmares in his induced coma about never waking up again. Most of them involved Annabeth crying for him, and that was hard for him to dream up. He hated seeing her upset.

He finally had the courage to open his eyes, and there stood Sarai. He’d hoped it would be Annabeth, but he tried to smile anyways. It failed. The fire like burn was gone, but it left his body disorganized and disoriented.

Sarai was crying. Like, really crying, although he could only see the tears. He couldn’t hear the sobbing noises that were coming out of her throat. His attempt of a smile was washed away. “What’s wrong?” He felt the vibration in his throat so he knew he had said it, but she only shook her head.

“Are you okay?”  Percy asked. He hoped he didn’t sound like a dying seal. I should really invest in some sign-language classes, he told himself. Then, he remembered, I’m deaf. It’s happening again.

Sarai’s crying had subsided momentarily, and her lips read, “My mother has taken away her gift. I’m so sorry.”

And Percy was mad. But he couldn’t move. And he couldn’t hear. And he was miserable.

Then, something he didn’t expect happened. Sarai’s voice appeared in his head, saying, “She took back everything she’s ever given you. You’re dying, Percy.”

It was some type of goddess power that Hera had passed on to her daughter, or at least, that’s what Sarai told Percy through her telepathy. He didn’t ask her too much about what she said. He remembered saying something a while back that related to this: “If I die, I die.”

He knew that one day he would die anyways.

But when Annabeth came in to see him, she didn’t know he couldn’t hear her, and it was suddenly real that he wouldn’t hear her voice again before he died. He faked it, though, for her sake. Sarai swore not to tell Annabeth, and Clarisse did the same. For the first time in weeks, Clarisse didn’t completely hate Annabeth. She was sad for her.

When Annabeth was smiling, telling him about an old adventure they’d had together when Sarai’s voice was back in his head. “We can talk to her. I can talk to her. You won’t die on us, Percy. Everyone needs you too much.”

But Percy didn’t acknowledge her. He stared at the love of his life, smiling like it was the last time he’d ever see her, or get to look into those piercing eyes; because it might be, he thought.

AN: Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry!!! I'm SO sorry! It's only half the chapter, but I have a family commitment right now that I have to get to. So, please enjoy and REVIEW! Part two of the chapter is coming tomorrow! Might even do a double-update to make it up to you guys! Love you all xx