Chapter eleven.

It happened quickly.

Percy’s vision blurred, and when it finally cleared again, the room was in rumbles. His chest was heaving rapidly, and not only was Sarai staring at him like he was mad, but her mother, and his father were as well; and they were gods, for crying out loud.

“I—AM—NOT—MARRYING—SARAI,” Percy found himself screaming. He was as shocked as the others when that powerful voice came out of him, and he breathed deeply for at least two minutes. “I will not marry her. I will not marry anyone but Annabeth Chase. That’s my final answer.”

“You will just have to reconsider, then,” Hera demanded. “You will marry my daughter, whether it’s against your will or not, Percy. You will be wed.”

His anger was swelling again, so he turned to his father for help. “I won’t do it, dad. I will run to the ends of the earth and back, avoiding this for the rest of my life. I won’t marry anyone but the girl I love.”

Poseidon looked livid, and Percy looked over to Sarai, hoping she remember their escape plan. She was already looking ready to go.

“My son,” Poseidon said, “I am sorry.” That caused a lump to form in Percy’s throat, afraid his father was turning on him when he needed him most. “I should not have let Hera convince me to this, Percy. You are right. I am very sorry.”

Then it happened. Hera lashed out at Poseidon, who lashed back, and soon enough, it was war. Percy and Sarai locked eyes, and before the gods could cause any damage to them, they bolted. With Percy’s newfound strength, and pulled her arm, and they were back in the elevator in a flash.

They frantically inhaled and exhaled as the elevator took them back to New York. “So,” Percy began, “what about Kronos? Isn’t he after us?”

“Do not worry, Percy,” she said. “My mother and her siblings took care of him before we’d even left the cave.”

“But you said—”

“And I apologize for lying to you,” Sarai said. She offered him a shy smile.

He took a deep breath, and let it out as a sigh. “It’s okay.” He looked around the familiar elevator. “We just need to get back to camp half-blood, and soon. I have something I need to do.”

Sarai didn’t hesitate to smile. “She’s going to be so happy. Of course, you’re a bit young, but love like this is guaranteed to last. I do hope you’ll let me come to the ceremony.”

“I’m not sure there will be a ceremony. It has to happen fast, you know,” Percy grumbled. He didn’t want to be rushed. He wanted to take his time with this. He wanted it to be in the right timing, at the right moment. But he wanted the rest of his life to be accompanied by Annabeth, and if this was the only way, then it would have to do.

“I can call some friends,” Sarai offered. “I do have quite the connections, you know.” She smiled. It was a beautiful, welcoming smile that warmed Percy’s heart.

“That would be amazing,” Percy said. “I guess I should ask her first, though. If she says no, man, that would be embarrassing.” He tried to laugh at his own joke, but the thought of rejection wounded him.

“She will say yes,” she said. She sounded so confident, it made Percy snap out of his self pity.

“Fingers crossed,” he mumbled. The doors dinged, and they both darted out the second they could. They’d grab a cab, and be on their way to camp half-blood. Percy’s nerves were getting the best of him. He didn’t have a ring, he was asking her to marry him like today, and he wasn’t even sure if they were on the best terms at the moment.

But he didn’t care.

Because, it’s now or never.