Chapter twelve.

Usually, being back at camp half-blood was a relief for Percy. Well, every other time it was, until now. He’d rung his mother, and he and Sarai had dropped by to get one of the engagement rings his mother had picked up at consignment shops over the years. It wasn’t much, but the smile on his mother’s face told Percy that it meant a lot that he picked one of her’s.  And it had been a week, at least, since he’d left to go to Olympus. Percy almost lost count because he and Sarai were running around the world in a desperate attempt to throw off Sarai’s mother.

But then they were back at camp, just outside of the barrier, and his breathing increased immensely. Percy’s thoughts were panicked.  I can’t do this. I can’t ask her to be with me, a poor excuse for a boyfriend, forever. She deserves better. She’ll say no. She’ll laugh in my face, and she’ll think I’m joking. She’ll cry and say she’s sorry but she can’t spend the rest of her life with a screw up like me. I can’t do it.

“Stop,” Sarai demanded.

“Huh?” Percy asked, suddenly torn from his doubtful thoughts.

“Stop second guessing yourself. You must go. Now.”

That was all it took. He inhaled sharply, and strode into the camp with determined steps. Campers came up to him with the usual questions, “How’d it go?” “Good to see you. What’s it like up there on Mount Olympus?” “Did you see my mom/dad?” but he didn’t stop. Not once. Percy just shook his head, and tried to find her. He imagined looking into her intimidating eyes and asking the girl he loved to spend the rest of their miserable and dramatic lives together. He felt sick again, but that didn’t slow him down.

“Where’s Annabeth?” Percy asked Grover. He hadn’t seen her anywhere, and this had to happen quickly.

“Her cabin,” Grover mumbled. He looked….uncomfortable? “Percy, you need to know something before—”

“No. We’ll talk later, bud. I have to go do something,” Percy interrupted.

Grover called after him, but he refused to turn around. Her cabin was less than fifty feet away, and his confidence was building with each step. Yeah, I think I can do this.

Then he was at the cabin door. He didn’t bother knocking, everyone but Annabeth should’ve been out doing something. So, he opened it.

And his eyes searched to meet hers, a smile stretched on his face.

Then, in record time, it was gone.

Was I just shot? He panicked, because the pain he felt was more gut wrenching than that.

No, that’s—that’s my heart. Oh, gods. Am I dying?

That’s when they noticed him standing there. They.

Annabeth gasped, and Percy could tell, after all these years of her knowing exactly what to say, she was speechless. And so was Percy. And so was the other guy. The other guy. The guy I just walked in on her kissing.

Percy stood in the door way for two minutes, frantically waiting for an explanation, or an excuse, because Percy would’ve believed anything Annabeth told him, but there wasn’t one. And he felt his entire world crash into him, and he barely made it out of the cabin’s sight before he collapsed on the hard ground and let out a roar of pain.

Crippling pain; the pain that cuts deep into a heart and will leave scar tissue for the rest of a person’s life. Percy was crying. Percy didn’t like to cry, and he’d cry very little in the last three years, but this seemed necessary. Tears of hurt, confusion, and love poured onto the ground he was laid on. He had no idea where he was, but it didn’t really matter to him.

He felt a hand on his back, and he could tell it was a girl’s. He didn’t flinch away, although it was his first instinct. “Go away, Sarai,” he barely croaked out.

“It’s not Sarai.” Percy knew that voice. He never got along with the person that the voice belonged to.

He found enough strength to push himself off of the dusty ground, and he looked up at Clarisse. “By all means, kick me while I’m down.” He was sure he looked pathetic. I’m sure she loves this. Percy Jackson: the big hero, crumpled on the grass and crying out in heartache.

“Come on, Jackson. Let’s get you back to your cabin,” was all she said. Percy saw sympathy, and it felt good. He wanted sympathy; he wanted someone to make him feel better. Although it wouldn’t work, he let her try.

Percy got up to his feet, and Clarisse helped him stumble back to his cabin. He got plenty of awkward stares, probably due to the fact that Percy’s face was wet and dirty with tears and dirt. Or maybe it was because Clarisse had her arm around him, and they were acting as if they were friends.

Once he was lying on his couch, and Clarisse was sitting at the end by his feet, she finally asked what was wrong.

He thought for a moment, and he felt some more tears fall on his face. “I think Annabeth and I just broke up.”

Authors note: Please don't hate me. Oh my God. I love you guys for reading, and please give me feedback, babes!