Chapter fourteen.

“I’m sorry, Perce,” Grover apologized. “I tried to tell you, but you wouldn’t listen.”

“Yeah, well,” Percy grumbled, “I didn’t expect to find that.”

“So what do you think, man?”

“About what?” Percy asked.

They were lying on the floor of the big house. No one was in there, so they decided that this was better than going to either of their cabins. Grover had hugged Percy, who wasn’t crying anymore. He was still devastated, but he decided he needed to stop looking like a wimp, even if there was a gaping hole in his gut.

“Are you gonna talk to her about it? Are you gonna forgive her?” Grover pressed.

“No,” was all Percy replied.

“No to the first or second question?” his best friend interrogated.

“The second. Enough of the third degree, man. Can we just forget about it? I already feel like crap,” Percy complained.

“You aren’t gonna forgive Annabeth?” Grover asked, shocked.

“Why do you sound so surprised? Would you forgive her after cheating on you twice?” Percy asked, sitting up to look down at his friend.

“Well, no, but—”

“But what?” Percy growled.

“She’s your forever, man. Your only weakness. You’d die for her, but you aren’t gonna forgive her?”

Percy opened his mouth to yell at Grover, but someone stumbled in just in time to keep him from saying something he would regret later.

Percy’s eyes darted to the entrance of the Big House and he nearly choked on his own breath. Blood. He could tell it was a girl, but he couldn’t see anything besides that. Her face was soaked in red, and she was crying. Hard.

“Percy,” the girl sobbed. That voice was all it took for him to spring into action.

It was a blur. Next thing he knew, he was running with her in his arms, straight to the infirmary. Grover wasn’t far behind, yelling questions their way that were all lost in the wind.

“I’m so sorry,” the girl barely muttered.

“Don’t try to talk, Annabeth. Don’t.” And she didn’t after that. She just quietly cried.

It was black, but she could hear crying. Annabeth didn’t want to try to open her eyes, and didn’t dare try to talk.

“She’ll be okay, though?”

Percy. He was the one crying, and he could hear cracks in his voice as he spoke.

“Percy, do you know what happened to her?” the healer asked. Who knew which one it was. “Her face is cut in several places. We’ll do whatever we can, but there’s no guarantee. There will be scars.”

“Scars?” The way Percy’s voice changed into disturbance made Annabeth want to cry. He’d never be able to look at her again. “But she will live, right? There was so much blood, I just…” He didn’t finish his sentence.

“Mr. Jackson, go back to your cabin. We’ll call you when she wakes up. It’s been three days, and I know for a fact you haven’t slept. Your eyes look dreadful,” the guy said. “Your girlfriend will be fine.”

Annabeth’s heart stung at that word. Girlfriend. What kind of girlfriend does that to her boyfriend? A lonely one. But it still wasn’t right.

Percy was silent, and Annabeth could’ve sworn she felt his eyes on her. He cleared his throat, “She’s not my girlfriend, Trent. Not anymore.”

“It’s not okay,” Percy told Clarisse. He wasn’t overly angry, which he should’ve been. But he was trying to stay level-headed, trying to be normal.

“What’s not okay?” she asked. They sat on a bench near the lake, and they both stared out onto it as the sun fell below the water.

“What you did to Annabeth.”

Clarisse sighed. “I didn’t do it, Jackson. Not this time.”

“I know you went to find her. To yell at her. To fight her.”

“Yeah, and the black eye underneath all that dried blood, that’s what you can thank me for,” she countered. “I left her, Percy. She was out in the woods by the campfire, and I left her. I still take full blame for leaving her out there, wounded, but I didn’t claw her face off.”

“Then who did?” he asked.

“I think you know who,” she said quietly. Percy remembered telling her about Mount Olympus, and suddenly her point was crystal clear.

Percy’s breathing deepened, and he wasn’t in control of his anger anymore. “Hera.”

AN: Surprise! I posted earlier than I thought I would be able to. Probably as a result of me having the BEST. WEEKEND. EVER. Just to let you all know, Selena Gomez puts on an AMAZING show. If you're looking for a good concert, I recommend it 100%. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, I MET HER. I don't know if y'all knew, but Selena Gomez is my fave, so its all been really surreal and amzing. If you wanna see our selfie, check out my twitter: @dylenas. :) Hope you enjoyed the chapter.

Also, let me know if you would enjoy me starting to put a playlist of songs that I write the chapters to. I would be more than happy to do so! :) Much love, xx.