Chapter 12

Vivian & Hazel in mm

~May 15, 2010~

Hazel

"Good morning." Lu-Ma's soft voice peeked in as my door creaked open. As she walked in, the hardwood floor creaked underneath her feet and the bed dipped when she sat down next to me. After a few seconds of silence I finally turned my head to look at her out of my swollen eyes.

"Hey." My lips tried forming a smile, something that felt foreign to me.

"You ready to go to prom tonight?" She asked and I could hear the bit of doubt in her tone.

"Lu-Ma, I...I just won't feel right going by myself." I confessed and her hopeful smile faded.

"Haze, it's your senior prom. You gotta go baby. Please, for me?" She combed her fingers through my hair a few times in a comforting manner, something she knew I loved for her to do.

"I-"

"Look," she stood up from the bed and stepped outside of my room for a quick second, "I got that white dress you wanted and I already called your cousin Vivian to do your hair and make-up."

"Oh my goodness." My eyes opened wider as I gawked at the same white dress that I've wanted since my freshmen year of high school. I crawled out of bed and came towards her with my eyes dead set on the price tag hanging off the side of the dress.

"This...this dress is...this is um." I stuttered trying to read out the price of the dress. After the fourth zero on the price tag, I decided to stop trying to read the price all together.

"Most girls around here ain't very fortunate but I'd rather you be apart of the small percentage of young ladies that make it out of Louisiana after high school, you hear me?"

"Yes ma'am." I nodded.

"I will do anything to make sure you are happy. You're smart, very beautiful, and you have a very caring and positive attitude sweetheart. I don't want nobody to take your happiness away from you, not even August." Lu-Ma wiped a falling tear away from my eyes then hung up the dress before wrapping her arms around me tightly.

"Thank you." I croaked pulling away from her to kiss her cheek.

"Oh...girl, just go ahead and take a shower so you'll be ready to get your hair and makeup done."

I ran into my closet to grab my bath robe and a pair of underwear, then across the hall to the bathroom. I turned on the shower and as I adjusted the temperature of the water, the beating of my heart started to quicken at the thought of prom tonight. I stripped out of my clothes and stepped into the steaming hot shower, it was exactly how I liked it.

A few months ago August and I had planned on going to prom together, just as best friends. I had already picked out my black dress covered in silver rhinestones to match his black tuxedo and silver accessories.

 I had already picked out my black dress covered in silver rhinestones to match his black tuxedo and silver accessories