Chapter 11

August

"Yea, uhm, I uh... Yea. The red carpet, the camera crew, the spotlights, the birthday background, and the uh.... The bubble machine." I was lying in bed with Skylar next to me on her tablet while I talked on the phone with Hazel's favorite event coordinator, Tyson. With our birthdays just a week away, I had to call him because he was the best with last minute planning. The only downside is that this nigga gay and he always after the Youngin.

Then on the other hand I gotta turn in this damn packet for Skylar to go a school, that she might not even attend since New Orleans is not our permanent residence.

"Alright, do you need catering?" Tyson asked.

"Nah, my family cookin' fa me. All I need is what I asked fa bruh." Skylar started rubbing her eyes for probably the millionth time since she woke up and I had to stop her before she irritated them.

"Alright, we'll start setup on the 31st at your Los Angeles home and I'll bill you after we finish." Nigga tomorrow.

"Aight, 'preciate it fam." I hung up the phone and held it up in the air for a minute, almost Lion Kinging it. I know I told Ralph and Curt to watch Haze but I was starting to get a bad feeling. Like she was off fuckin' around or some. My intention was to call her but I ended up dialing Ralph number instead. The phone rung for about two minutes so I hung up knowing that they wasn't on they job.

I wasn't even about to waste my time and call Curt because he wasn't gone answer his shit either.

"Da'y," Skylar's tiny hands reached over to me, "I know da numbas."

"Aight well spit some to me." She handed me the IPad then held up her fingers and started counting.

"On, two, tree, four, fie, six, seben, aye, nie, ten." When she finished she smiled and held up her ten fingers so I could give her two high fives.

"Thats what I'm talkin' bout!" My hands met hers then I scooped her up into my arms. "My girl smart just like her mama. Ain't that right?"

"Da'y you smart too." She rested her head on my chest and wrapped her arms around my neck, trying to be slick and go back to sleep.

"But yo mama smarter than me."

"How?" She popped up and put her forehead to mine with her face all squinted.

"She went to college and I didn't." I rolled my eyes and squeezed her nose.

Skylar held her nose and climbed off the bed, giggling and pulling the covers off of me.

"Where you goin' with my cover lil one?" I sat up and she took her hand away from her nose to drag me along with her. She pulled me outta the room, down the hall, then downstairs to the studio. "What you want me to do in here?"

"Do your abum." She sat down in the office chair in front of the sound board and covered up, waiting on me to start my recording process. Every since she found out about "This Thing Called Life" she's been on my ass about being apart of it. She already knows that music is in her blood and I'd be happy to get her started early.

"You motivate me in the best way possible." I smiled before placing a wet kiss on her cheek.

"Ewwwwwww da'y!" She squealed and wiped her cheeks off with her hands.

The process of setting up the beats, speakers, and mics took a little longer than usual. It made me feel like somebody had been down here bothering my shit. I brushed the feeling off and just focused on getting myself prepared to sing away my pain. When I turned around from setting up my computer, I noticed a pile of papers on the soundboard. Me being the nosey fucka I am, I read what was written on them. At the top of the first paper was Hazel's initials and the title was Exchange.