Chapter 18

May 23rd, 2010
Hazel

"How long you been working on that?" August asked, taking another pull from his long blunt filled with OG Kush. As he inhaled the smoke, he relaxed on the hammock we were sharing. Once he finally exhaled the smoke, he opened his eyes and they met mine once again. After prom I did go with Iris to a hotel room but after the events of that night, I found myself growing bored and I left to spend some quality time with August. In that time we made up in multiple ways, meaning I feel closer to him now than I ever did. So, this afternoon he lied to Michelle and told her that he was going to work, while in reality he's reading the poems that I've been working on.

"Ummm, I actually wrote it two months ago. I was uh...further exploring my feelings." I giggled shyly, grabbing my book from his hands.

"You know I got this beat that I been tryin' ta fuck wit', that shit'a go good with them lyrics." He went to reach for his phone in his back pocket until the hammock started swinging uncontrollably. He steadied himself then slowly pulled his phone from the back pocket of his sweat pants. 

"August, I-I don't know....I don't sing. They're not technically lyrics." I muttered, running my eyes over the words multiple times.

"Baybeh all a song is, is a poem with background music. It don't matter that you don't sing, you can sing though. Don't hide your talent Haze, let that shit shine." He lectured. The music began and August began ad-libbing with a few ooh's.

"Come on, just try the first words." He said, trying to encourage me.

"Come......to me." I sang softly causing August to smile. I waited for the melody to come together in my head but it just wasn't working. I leaned in closer to August, trying to signal to him that I needed his help. Fortunately, he caught the sign and looked at the words along with me.

"When you come tonight squeeze me tight, hold me close, kiss my cheek, and caress my soul." He sang softly but quickly almost as if he was rapping.

"Take good care, stroke my hair, make me blush, go so deep that my hymen's fucked." I sang, mimicking the same melody as August. We continued to sing through the lyrics and even add more when we ran out. In less than an hour August helped me write a song that he had no idea was about him. EVERYTHING in this song screams that I yearn for his love but all of my fears get in the way of what my heart needs to feel...complete.

"So...if I happened ta invite you to the studio ta record this hea record, would you?" He asked but the sight of his tongue running across his bottom lips mezmerized me. This trance was enough to make me do anything if he asked.

"Studio....yeah." I responded, all focused intently on his tender, full lips.

"Haze..." His charming smile quickly faded, giving my heart permission to stop racing.

"Yeah?"

"You uh.... You got company." He replied as he handed me back my notebook and excused himself from his spot next to me. His footsteps moving swiftly through the grass behind me were replaced by slower paced footsteps. A slight look over my shoulder and behind the tree was enough to give me multiple heart attacks.

"How you doin' beautiful? I brought you some flowers, didn't know which kind you liked so I did a little research and ended up buying these

"How you doin' beautiful? I brought you some flowers, didn't know which kind you liked so I did a little research and ended up buying these." As suave as ever, Iris swept me off of my feet with just the sound of his voice.

"Iris thank you." I tried my best to sound as excited as possible while taking the bouquet of orange roses, but it was easier said than done as I watched August walk away.

"You see I saw that different colored roses have different meanings. So I picked up these orange roses. Any guess at what they may mean?"

"Infatuation, fascination, and desire. May I help you young man?" Both Iris and I quickly turned our attention to the driveway where Lu-Ma stood holding a brown bag filled with groceries.

"Oh Lu-Ma this is-" My voice shut off as August rounded the corner with two other bags in his hand.

"I apologize for not introducing myself before visiting your home Mrs.Albrey, my name is Iris. I just wanted to see your daughter's-"

"My niece." Lu-Ma corrected him, passing me the bag she had in her hand and pushing me towards the house. Before I could hear anymore of their conversation, I entered the house through the back door and caught up with August in the kitchen.

"August, I'm sorry I didn't know he was coming here." I apologized, coming to his side as he stored the canned goods in the pantry.

"It's cool." He responded.

"August... don't act that way." I sighed.

"Like?" He asked, never looking at me. Instead of saying anything back I pushed him inside the pantry and entered behind him then closed the door, locking it.

"Stop, we were having a good time before he showed up and now you're acting like you don't even wanna be around me right now." I explained, folding my arms as I looked up at him.

"Haze, you trippin'. I'm cool I promise." He tried covering up his obvious jealously like he always does just to get me to leave him alone. His facade wasn't convincing meaning we weren't leaving until I was sure he wasn't upset.

"You know I don't believe that." I pouted, closing the space between us, wrapping my arms around him and resting my head on his chest. Soon I felt his arm lace around my back and his fingers slowly run through my hair.

"If anybody can take you away from me I know it's him Haze. He is everything you need and I-"

"August I NEED you and you know that. I just want you to need me too." I lifted my head from his chest and moved my arms from around his back to place my hands on his chest as I looked him in his eyes.

"Haze it's not a moment that I don't need you. I'm just scared that if you leave I'm not gone be able to-"

"August..." The more I talked about things like this with August, the more my emotions get the best of me. I can't help but get choked up when I  see how hurt he is. He makes me realize that regardless of my problems or what I've been through I can still be happy because he makes me happy although he doesn't realize it. I've felt like I wasn't loved so many times as a child but I still manage to find it in my heart to love him.

"I know I keep telling you this but I love you Hazel. For real, I just wish I wasn't in this fucked up situation because you don't deserve to have to deal with my mistakes." The sincerity in his eyes was clear, his steady heart beat underneath my fingertips confirmed every feeling for me.

"Come back."