Nirvana 45

ADYAN

When Aaliyah finally told me something about her father and somewhat of why she does the things she does, made me feel a bit more relaxed as to why she always is uncomfortable with me doing certain things or even showing her body to me when she got wet and had to change clothes when we were driving.

It was around seven in the evening when Mrs. Vill called Aaliyah to help her cook some dinner. Aaliyah Rose was happy enough to jump up from the bed and help her. A woman that cooks is just sexy to me, I don't know why. I couldn't even wait what was in that kitchen cooking, that smell had my stomach growling for hours.

"Come to the dining room every one!" Mrs. Vill and Aaliyah yelled out, I immediately threw on a shirt and was the first one there.

I roamed my eyes around the food and it looked unfamiliar, but it sure did smell good. It was this orange rice with meat inside and there was fried chicken to the left of it, some cans of pink lemonade, a bottle of water, and a couple cans of Sprite, this sauce looking this that was of a dark brown color, and finally some vinaigrette salad with bacon, chicken, tomatoes, onions, and to the side some avocados.

"Um, Aaliyah, Mrs. Vill. What is that orange rice and the sauce?" I asked out loud, Will looked at me as if he was wondering the same thing; and the four of them started laughing. I looked at Maya and Mr. Vill as the laughter finally died down.

"Adyan, this 'orange rice' is called jollof rice with meat and then the 'sauce' is called shitto. It's spicy. Smell good, don't it?" He asks, I shrugged my shoulders and responded with "Yes, I guess." 

"This is African food, since Aaliyah Rose, Maya, and Mrs. Vill are African." Mr. Vill said, I looked at Mrs. Vill shocked. 

"Yes, I am African. My father is from North Carolina, while my mother was from Nigeria. That will explain the brown skin." 

"Mr. Vill, how do you know what it is?" Will asked as I turned my head violently to tell him to be quiet.

"It's okay boy, Mrs. Vill had me try it for the first time when we first had dinner at her house. Her mother placed it in front of me and I loved it at the first taste. You'll love it, I promise." Mr. Vill says as he looks at Mrs. Vill as if there was another message behind his sentence. 

I turned to my left and I've already see Will eating the shitto and rice together as if he was in some type of food heaven. I chuckled to myself as I take a spoonful of the shitto, putting it on the rice. Aaliyah Rose and Maya start giggling at me as I take my first bite. 

My mouth feels like it's on fire.

I do not have no clue how Will is perfectly fine and not having his tongue burn on the sun. 

"How... is ... Will.. not.. burning up like I am?" I said, taking breaths between each of my words. 

"Because I gave him a small bit, not a whole spoonful. If you do that, my trick is to eat is all at once. So you could just feel the BURN later." Aaliyah said, while trying not to laugh at my despair. But that clearly failed terribly. 

"Go drink some milk or some water." Mr. Vill said as I ran to the kitchen to get some water. As soon as I ran out of my chair, they began to burst in laughter. Even my own little brother that has never even had the food before, started to laugh at me. 

Once I sat back down, I realized how good it was as long as I didn't put too much of that stuff on it. It was spicy but it tasted so good and the taste was something that you couldn't describe. Let's just Africans know how to do two things: that's they know how to party and they sure do know how to cook. 

I like this culture and didn't know how much this African culture was so different, but so adaptive. This was the first time I actually saw Maya and Aaliyah Rose smile as if they were comfortable because form what Aaliyah Rose made it sound like was that they lived in their house.. she made it sound like they were walking on glass every waking moment of their lives. But just them two, not her other younger sister Anya, which triggered my mind a little bit whenever she spoke about her family. Again, which was very rare that she did without giving me these short responses. 

When finished with dinner and cleaning up after ourselves, we all went to our rooms; Aaliyah and I were laying side by side in her bed. She laid in my chest, looking up into my eyes. I looked at her and the song that came to my mind was Religious by Ne Yo. It was almost scary and different then I am used to. 

 And all I can say.....
is a Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah..
Pretty baby.
You got me religious. Got me religious, Got me religious.
ooo, And all I can say.....
is a Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah..
Pretty baby.
You got me religious. 
Got me religious, Got me religious.

I soon found myself humming the tune as she looked at me in interest, I closed my eyes and could still feel her soft stare in the side of my face. 

"What song are you singing? It sounds pretty." She said while smiling.

"It's called Religious."

"Can you sing it for me?" She asked sweetly, my only response was to laugh. 

"Is that a yes or a no?" 

"It's a maybe another time." I said, nervously. 

"But I never heard the song, I want to hear it completely." 

"There's youtube, isn't there?" I said as she punched me in my chest. She laughed continued to go about her cuddling with me. 

"I have a question for you Miss Aaliyah Rose." She looked up into my eyes, signalling for me to continue to ask. 

"Why don't you talk about your family whenever I ask?" 

"Because there is nothing to talk about Mr. Adyan." 

"But I am a very curious soul and I want to learn about you, I just observe the way you laugh. Both you and Maya seemed like you were both finally at peace when you both were laughing at dinner tonight. Is it because that usually doesn't happen or your soul just feels at peace without having to walk on glass?" I concluded as she looked up into my eyes, shocked. I didn't know if that was a good sigh or a bad one. It made me scared to even continue to look at her until she finally kisses me and nods slowly in amazement to how close I really do observe her. 

"You pay really close attention to me, don't you?" 

"It's hard not to my love." I said as she flipped over to be on top of me. I held her by her small waist, shocked at what she just did.