Twenty-Eight pt 2

"What is this?" Marie Jeanne asks. The man that saved her, Henri, took her to his little cottages that's surrounded by Mountain Ash trees.

"Mountain Ash," He answers as he tends to her leg wound.

"And that?"

"Mistletoe. Please put that down."

She doesn't realize this, but this is all that's keeping her safe. She's not aware of the supernatural.

Looking around the room, she gets confused. "And why do you have all of this?"

"To protect myself," He starts. "I have spent..half a lifetime gathering the implements and skills to survive a werewolf. I can teach you, if you want to know."

Sighing, Marie Jeanne stands up carefully. "I don't care about surviving one...I want to know how to kill one."

Marie Jeanne knew she couldn't take out another hunting party armed with mistletoe and Rowan berries. She needed an advantage. She needed to know her enemy.

Back at the bar, they have a sort of..celebration. Putting a black thing of wine on the table, Marie Jeanne says, "To honor the dead. I expect everyone to drink."

She has a plan, and her plan is perfect.

She mixed the wine with mountain ash, a very smart way to single out who is human and who is not.

Her brother helps fill everyone's glass with wine, too. He raises a toast, "To the dead."

Everyone repeats in unison, and drinks.  She looks around to see if anything is happening, then out of nowhere, a glass drops to the floor.  Marie Jeanne hurries to tend to Marcel's wound. She takes him to the well to wash the blood off.

He winces as soon as the water hit the cut. "Do you have any cloth? Something to wrap your hand?" She asks.

He gives her a key to the cellar, and she's beyond confused. All he can say is, "You'll find what you need in the cellar."

Walking away from him, she goes to find the cellar. She opens the lock, grabs the nearest lap, and heads down the stairs.  When she's able to actually see what down there...lets just say she'll never be able to get the image out of her head.

As Marcel just watches the blood drip from his wound, he feels something pointy at his chest. There, standing before him, is Marie Jeanne with her crossbow.

"Go ahead." He tells her. Release the arrow." She doesn't do anything.

"Do it, Marie Jeanne. Go ahead, let the arrow fly." She still doesn't do it.

"Release it, Marie Jeanne." He says again. "Please."

She finally does it, letting the arrow go. All he can do is stare at the blood dripping from  his hand.

"You're not the killer? You're covering for him."

Marcel knew Marie Jeanne's plan the whole time. He knew she would lace the wine with Mountain Ash. She knew if she saw one person not drinking it, that would give everything away..and that's why he created a diversion..so he can keep his best friend safe.