As Long As I'm Here

Thanks for the prompt GlitchingGalaxy !!!

I stumbled, dropping the books I was juggling to the ground as I fell to my knees. I winced as they scratched against the rough sidewalk.

I turned my head slightly to catch a glimpse at who thought it would be amusing to trip me.

I sighed in resignation as I realized who it was. Hikari and Ayaka Shino. The first people who used my lack of parental figures as teasing material.

I heard Ayaka huff, "This isn't as much fun as it used to be. She doesn't even cry anymore."

Yes, because crying is really fun to watch.

"We can always make her cry Ayaka." Hikari offered.

"No, we are going to pick up her books and run around with each other! Oh, wait! You can't run can you, Honda?" Ayaka smiled innocently.

"Hahaha. I'm dying of laughter." I muttered.

"I know right?!" Hikari laughed. I deadpanned at her stupidity.

Ayaka rolled her rare blue eyes and pushed her black hair over her shoulder.

"What?" Hikari asked, her black hair falling from her loose bun, brown eyes glinting in confusion.

"Ok, Honda, we have a problem with you." Ayaka said, bluntly ignoring her sister.

"You think, after years of thinking you're too good for everyone else, you can gather up all the popular guys and make them fall for you." She continued.

"Popular guys." I ignored the first comment, it wasn't my fault I had a weak heart.

"Momiji Sohma. Hideaki Hayashi." Hikari supplied.

"Seriously?" I rolled my eyes and nearly groaned at their ignorance.

Are these the future presidents for the Momiji and Hideaki fan club?

I started to gather my books and papers and organize them. I was probably going to be here for awhile.

I nodded my head absentmindedly as they began to list my faults.

"Not only are you ugly, you're hideous! I can't tell what they see in you! You're an antisocial, bookworm, freaky, little girl! Did I mention you're short! Because you. are. short." Ayaka continued to rant as I sat Indian-style. The last time I tried to sneak away, I got a good kick in the stomach. Trust me, designer boots hurt.

I thumbed my latest book, checking for any water damage and was relieved to see my binder cushioned the blow.

"Hey, are you listening to me?!" Ayaka suddenly exclaimed.

"Yeah." I muttered.

Suddenly, I felt the familiar digging sensation in my side. I bit my lip as the boot dug into my skin.

"I think that'll leave a bruise." Hikari smiled pleasantly.

I rolled my eyes as they continued to rant.

Suddenly they froze.

I blinked and let my eyes glance over to the owner of the black aura. I blinked in shock when I saw cheerful, happy Momiji...not looking very cheerful.

"What are you doing with Hinata, out in the rain, with her on the ground?" He smiled blankly.

I felt shock overtake me at the seriousness in his voice.

"A-Ah nothing Momiji-kun! S-she tripped and we were about to help her up." Ayaka stuttered and gave a winning smile.

Momiji continued to glower at them in such a un-Momiji-like manner, I found myself blinking fiercely, as if I was in a dream.

"I'll take her home." He said coldly.

They nodded hurriedly and scampered away but stopped suddenly after Momiji called something out.

"By the way, she's much prettier than you are."

Wounded, the girls ran away.

I blinked at the blonde haired boy who in turn, grinned goofily at me.

"Was I mean enough?" He asked sheepishly, holding out the gentle hands that played the violin.

I choked on a laugh and accepted his warm hand in my slightly damp one.

"You didn't have to be mean at all. I know how hard it is for you to be cruel. I've handled worse before. I'll be okay." I smiled softly at him as I once again realized he had grown from 5'1 to 5'4 in such a short time span. I felt I had also grown a few inches but I was no longer taller than the blonde boy.

He turned his determined, chocolate eyes to mine,"that was before. As long as I'm here, I won't let anyone do bad things to you."

I smiled at him and he grinned back and held out a cherry lollipop.

"Lollipop?" I accepted as we walked through the rain, once again sharing an umbrella. I felt a spike of embarrassment but somehow doing this with him just felt right.

For a moment, I forgot about Akito's threat, the disadvantages of my weak heart, and endless bullies.

I felt comforted, because I knew Momiji was going to be there for me just as I would be there for him.

I felt the familiar twinge in my chest. I knew I might regret this tomorrow, yet as he held my hand and led me on...I couldn't find it in myself to let go.