Prologue

Ground Zero

Prologue

_________________________________________

The rusty shackles around Zero's wrists were heavy. Though, he knew better than to fidget or attempt to break free from the shackles that kept him bound. It did nothing but cause the what seemed liked eternal bruising around his joints to worsen.

So, Zero stayed docile with his back propped against the stone wall and soaked in the familiar feel of the shackles that restrained him. If he was completely honest with himself, these old, rusty, and bruise inducing shackles were, dare he say—comforting. Because when he wasn't shackled and locked away in his dark, damp and musky smelling room, he was strapped down on a cold metal table with a bright white light glaring down on him while his grandfather prodded him with needles, and Zero did not like needles.

Though, getting injected with a bunch of needles wasn't the worst procedure his grandfather succumbed him too, but rather when his grandfather put him under the knife and dissected Zero. He couldn't keep track of how many scars he had, and he tried too, but there were too many that had littered all over his skeleton-like body and after awhile, his scars would disappear like they were never there in the first place.

In the darkness of his small, four stoned wall room that only had one exit which happened to be a tall and wide metal door, Zero could hear the faint noise of squeaking which instantly drew in his interest. He tried to peer through the darkness to locate the small animal he had named Dog, but no matter how much he focused his eyes—it was just too dark.

''Dog.'' His voice was hoarse to his own ears.

Instead of seeing the small creature, he felt Dog's furry body skim along his right leg and Zero took the small action from the creature as a greeting. Dog had been visiting him for awhile now and the visitation from the creature was always a highlight of Zero's day, and each time the creature would visit him, the more trusting Dog became of him.

He'd like to believe, Dog and himself had become friends.

The soft furry creature climbed it's way into his hands and Zero carefully cradled Dog in between his palms and he couldn't help but feel this surge of excitement rush through him, but as quick as the surge of excitement came—it vanished.

The metal door to his room was thrown open and Zero jolted when the door slammed against the wall, but it would seem he wasn't the only one startled because Dog was and he felt the small creature's teeth bite down on the skin on his thumb. He ignored the pain and clasped his hands around his small friend and on instinct, he kept his eyes downcast while his grandfather stood in the doorway of his room. His tall and lanky form outlined by the light that pooled inside his once pitch black atmosphere.

''What do you have in those hands of yours, boy?'' Grandfather asked and his voice was scratchy due to all the cigarettes the man smoked.

''...Nuffing.'' Zero responded after a short internal debate with himself about whether he told his grandfather the truth or lie, and he obviously went with the latter.

''Nothing.'' Grandfather echoed, condescendingly.

Grandfather took three steps closer to Zero and knelt down in front of his grandchild and made an attempt to grab at Zero's hands which instantly had him recoiling them against his chest. He could feel his grandfather's gaze harden and Zero gasped out a choked breath when grandfather took a handful of his mangy hair and gave a harsh tug and stared Zero down with a heavy, scrutinizing gaze.

''Don't be difficult.'' Grandfather gritted out as he started to pry apart his clasped hands where Dog was hidden.

Zero pressed his hands together tighter and refused to unclasp them even when his grandfather pulled harder on his hair, and Zero knew his friend wanted to be released from his grasp due to all the biting, but if he released Dog now, his grandfather would see and make sure his little furry friend never visited him ever again.