Chapter One

Ground Zero

Chapter One

___________________________________________

I, Hazel Pickett was a cliché; a bad ass cliché with great hair.

I was the stereotypical bad boy with the stereotypical background.

The childhood I had gotten dealt was shit with an extra side of shit, considering I had two, not only alcoholics but also drug addicts for biological parents and I had been born and raised in a ghetto-ass, white trash neighborhood where the even more ghetto-ass, white trash neighbors roamed around in their cheap, sleazy attire either drunk or high and or both while their offspring—accidental slip of the condom or not—ran around causing mayhem.

And I—a rouge sperm meeting egg mistake—was in the same mayhem causing boat.

''All right, masks on and hoods up.'' Colton demanded impatiently and narrowed his hazy blue eyes as he peered through the windshield, scanning the local convenience store.

I internally sighed, frustrated as I pinched at my bottom lip, wishing I could bail out on this whole robbery and not because I was a pussy—I just didn't want to get my ass thrown back into juvie after finally getting out of the hell hole a week ago.

''In and out with all the cash and--''

''And some munchies? Right?'' Elijah spoke up pleadingly, but earned a smack to the head from Caleb–Colton's younger brother of two years—which caused Elijah to whine childishly and poke his tongue out at Caleb, ''You're so mean, I have some major rumblies in my tumblies and in need of some munchies, bro.''

''You wouldn't have the fucking munchies if you didn't keep on smoking the weed we're suppose to be selling.'' Caleb snarled, looking ready to throttle Elijah but Colton shot his brother a dark and threatening look that dared his brother to lay a finger on Elijah.

''Put on your masks.'' Colton snapped before muttering just loud enough for the morons to hear, ''Fucking idiots have no brain cells...''

''Maybe we should skip out on tonight--'' I started but apparently my voice fell on deaf ears as three out of four of the car doors opened and exited; Colton, Elijah and Caleb.

I swore under my breath as I slipped on the black ski-mask and pulled up my matching black hood along with slipping on my leather gloves before I threw open the passenger door and started for the entrance with Colton in the lead, swaggering his way up like he was tough shit with Elijah and Caleb flanking him like the obedient puppies they were.

''Empty the fucking register!'' Colton shouted as he threw open the door, pulling out his silver pistol and aimed it at the balding man behind the counter who froze at the sight of the gun with wide dark eyes.

''P-please, I need the money--'' The man whose name tag read Johnny stuttered out but Colton moved in closer, extending his arm threateningly while Elijah and Caleb stayed behind him like loyal puppies and I just hung back, keeping my eyes peeled for any by-passers or worse; the police.

''I didn't say talk, did I boys?'' Colton asked.

''Nah, man. I heard something about emptying the register and filling up a bag with all the money.'' Caleb supplied and his voice was casual before hardening into something darker. ''Now fucking do it or you'll get a bullet to the fucking head.''

I probably should feel bad for the petrified man who only now was starting to obey Colton's orders but I didn't. I just wanted him to hurry the fuck up so we could leave and I could go to bed, maybe jack off to some porn, shower, then sleep and probably do it all again tomorrow. Sighing, I turned my attention away from the front counter and gazed out the window only to curse out loud at the sight of not one but two police cars.