Chapter Five

Ground Zero

Chapter Five

___________________________________________

A delayed scream that sounded suspiciously like my own, startled me awake.

My eyes were open, but every which way I shifted my gaze, all that surrounded me was darkness, and my breathing came out labored, echoing around the small dark space and assaulted my own hearing, like rapid gunfire; which caused the aching headache I now only realized I had, too worsen.

I inhaled a deep breath, and now my nose was assaulted with the smell of musk and a hint of rusty metal, but shifting my body ever so slightly in the small space, I realized the smell was coming from the soft, furry blanket underneath me.

Where the hell was I?

Last I remembered, I was getting charged at by a massive blood red wolf and now, well, I was somewhere completely unfamiliar to me. The only plus side to my current situation was the fact that the blood red wolf was nowhere in sight, nor was the black wolf who had attacked Mimzy.

Mimzy. What happened to her? Was she alright?

Footsteps captured my attention and I froze; if my heart wasn't already pounding like crazy in my chest before, it was now, because I didn't have the slightest clue of who was approaching the dark space I was currently (against my will) residing in. I pressed myself closer against the wall and held my breath, preparing to lunge and attack whomever it was coming to check up on me.

Surely, my scream had alerted them that I was awake.

The door to the dark space slid open halfway and looming before me was a malnourished looking caveman, and I say cavemen because he literally reminded me of a motherfucking cavemen with wild, wispy dark brown hair that had twigs and leaves tangled in, and a very, equally as wild and wispy, dark brown beard.

And his skinny, but tall and lanky, tanned body was smeared in filth; head to toe. Which made me realize with dread pooling in my stomach, that this man who looked like he could be no older than twenty, was naked.

Like, really, really naked.

So very naked and I couldn't not look at his dick because said dick was literally eye level with me at the moment, and fuck, the crazy caveman looking weirdo was ridiculously hung. I could feel my cheeks begin to heat up the longer I stared, so I snapped my eyes back up to his face. He stared back at me with an interest that made me sink further back against the wall.

So much for lunging and attacking, I thought bitterly.

''Hi.'' He chirped and from that one word—one greeting, I could hear an accent underlying that deep masculine voice. He tilted his head, and the way he stared down at me, reminded me of someone staring at an animal in a zoo, waiting for said animal to do something interesting.

I glared and bared my teeth in a snarl. ''If you fucking touch me, I'll rip your hands off and shoved them up your ass.''

He blinked owlishly before he furrowed his regal eyebrows in confusion, like he wasn't comprehending my words. The caveman reached his right hand up and scratched at his temple before placed his hand over his chest and began to pat his palm against his chest, so the sound of skin slapping skin was heard.

''Zero.''

Okay, now it was my turn to be confused.

''Zero?'' I repeated in question.

''Yes, Zero.'' He confirmed and he patted at his chest again, and it took me a moment to realize, he was introducing himself.

''You're Zero?'' I asked, just to be certain.