Chapter Twenty-Two

Ground Zero

Chapter Twenty-Two

___________________________________________

I felt ridiculously warm, but not in a bad way, like the sweaty and gross kinda warm. It was a more comforting warmth I took advantage of until my bladder called for immediate relief.

I blinked my heavy eyelids open and took in my surroundings which turned out to be...white. Surrounding me. Just blank. I scrunched up my nose in confusion, until I realized it was a blanket blocking my actual view of my surroundings. I raised my hand up to remove the blanket, but my hand hit something solid inches above me. I quickly snatched the blanket back and stared above me. I was underneath a bed.

My bed if I was correct by the bland color of the wall on the side was anything to go by.

I started to shift, but that's when I felt a pair of arms secured around my waist. I also took notice of the soft, hot breaths hitting the back of my neck. It caused a rise of goosebumps to take over my skin, and a warm lanky body curled around me from behind. I wormed out of the grip in a startling panic, only to come face to face with Zero. His facial expression was relaxed, lips slightly parted and copper eyes coming into view as he woke from slumber.

"Hazzy..." Zero whispered, reaching a hand up and cupped the side of my face. He inched closer towards me and nuzzled his nose against mine, only briefly before I jerked back which had him frowning, but he didn't drop the hand cupping the side of my face.

"Why are we under a bed?" I asked incredulously, pinning him with a look and a raised eyebrow. Hoping my expression came across of one who wanted some answers.

"Safe."...Jesus.

I continued to stare at him with the same expression, before it faded into a more somber look as last night events came flooding back to me. I held my breath, jerking the arm beneath me up and cupped the side of my neck that had been bitten without my consent twice. It no longer felt sore and running my fingers along the skin there, I felt no bumps, just a smooth expanse of skin.

"What the...I mean, how...?" I was confused because Zero's bite marks never faded, but Colton's and the older man's were completely gone. Like, like the events of last night had never happened. I mean, I knew Colton had told me before he so dickishly bit me that his teeth marks would fade after a while because he was a beta. But hadn't the marks disappeared a little too soon for what was suppose to be awhile? Not to mention, the older man had been an alpha just like Zero.

So, the winning question was, how the hell did his mark vanish as well?

Zero trailed his hand down to my neck and cupped said hand over his bite mark. "Mine. Hazzy mine." He whispered.

My heart stuttered in my chest and my breath hitched. All because of a simple word that really should be considered degrading and controlling and possessive, but he had whispered it so earnestly and softly. Zero inched closer to me so the front of our bodies were aligned and he reached up, cupping my face this time around in both his hands and pressed his forehead against mine. He stared at me with such intensity, it was hard to keep my gaze connected but somehow I managed.

"I sorry, Hazzy. Zero-I...sorry." His voice sounded just like it had the night before when he cradled me and spoke to me in that very same choked up garble.

"Zero--" I began, but he interrupted me.

"No, Hazzy never hurt, never bite ever. No like, no do." He babbled out quickly, so it took me a short minute to process what exactly he was trying to say and when I did, I could feel myself flushing. Not in embarrassment or flattery, but the anger I had been feeling last night returned and smacked into like a ton of bricks.