Chapter Fourteen

Ground Zero

Chapter Fourteen

___________________________________________

"...It was stupid."

"What was?"

"That-that day. It was stupid. No, I was stupid."

"...How so?"

"I had been grounded. I wasn't suppose to leave the house but my stupid ass did and...and Quinn just; he just took me."

"How did he abduct you?"

"Mimzy and I--"

"Sorry, your dog, right? Mimzy?"

"Yeah, Mimzy and I were walking..."

The day was beautiful. What a waste it would have been to spend inside and I wasn't the type of person who was able to be house bound for long. I liked activity. Mimzy ventured off the pathway a few times to take care of business, but I continued to walk, focusing my attention on getting to the agreed meet up spot to hang-out with my friends.

A shiny black Range Rover had caught my attention when it slowed down next to me and continued to go the same speed as I before the driver rolled down the window. It was Quinn.

What the hell was he doing here?

"Even prettier from behind, Hazel." Quinn greeted with a wink that was just all kinds of wrong.

I brushed off his comment and asked--

"I'm sorry, his comment, did he say those kinds of things to you often?"

I sucked on my teeth and nodded my head. "Oh yeah, guy was a total perve. He had a preference for young boys. I wasn't the only one...other uh, groups of friends--"

"Gangs." Officer Cole interrupted, rather pointedly. Rude. "Like I said, I ran your investigation. I know you, Hazel Pickett. I also know you ran in a gang before being sent to juvie."

"That's the past."

"Is it?"

I wasn't going to answer that. "Anyway, other gangs had problems with Quinn and him finding interested in their younger members, called whoever he liked his pretty boy...I just would have never thought he would, well you know, kidnap someone, let alone me."

"What are you doing here?" I asked, resisting the urge to scan my surroundings.

"I had a meeting here in town."

"Cool." I muttered.

"You need a ride?"

"Nah, I'm good, Quinn. I'm just out walking my dog."

"Come on, Hazel."

"Really, I'm good."

"So, he was persistent getting you in his car."

"Yeah..."

The engine cut and a moment later, I heard the driver's door open and watched Quinn walk around the front of his Range Rover. He scanned the surroundings which made me uneasy and I took notice of a white cloth dangling from his hand.

"I should have ran." I murmured, shaking my head.

"Don't play that game with yourself. It's a losing one. Forget the should have, would have, and could have's."

Mimzy growled, but that didn't faze him and he continued to approach me, and before I knew it, the white cloth was being pressed up against my nose and mouth. I inhaled, startled and from the inhale, I smelled something sickly sweet. My world tilted and suddenly, I was falling, falling right into Quinn's arms and with one last look up into his face, everything went dark.