Chapter Thirty

Ground Zero

Chapter Thirty

___________________________________________

Entering the house, I was greeted by an overly excited Mimzy.

"Hey girlie," I cooed, giving into her demand of pets and rubs; until she was content. "Did you miss me?" Mimzy gave a low howl in response and brushed her face against my abdomen. "Come on, Mims, upstairs."

She eagerly trailed after me and up the staircase, whimpering the whole way up. I stalked down the hall and opened my bedroom door. Mimzy darted inside with a bark and before I even stepped foot into my room, I was instantly hit with a heavy and foul smell. I stepped inside and peaked around the corner; my heart dropping down to my stomach at the sight.

"What the..." I trailed off because I was at a loss for words.

I figured out what the heavy and foul smell was; decay. The smell was decay because Jude was in my bedroom. Tied up to a chair and very clearly unconscious, if the hanging of his head and limp posture was anything to go by. Mimzy trotted towards him and sniffed before she turned around and left the room. My gaze shifted over towards Zero who quickly stood up from my bed and started to approach me. Before he could reach me, I shut the bedroom door and stalked past him and across the room to open my window.

Hoping to air out the awful smell I prayed wouldn't linger like cigarette smoke.

"Hazzy--"

"Zero, what the fuck?" I demanded as I turned around to face him and gestured towards Jude. Though, now I was a bit panicky because what if Jude wasn't unconscious but dead? My heart flew up from my stomach and up into my throat.

"Hazzy," Zero stressed, closing the distance between us and took my hands into his. "Four came through, sneaked in."

"What?" I breathed, unknowingly tightening my hands around his own.

Shit. The uneasiness I felt earlier this morning by the woods treeline. Like someone was watching and waiting, and it turns out that someone was; Jude. I could have stopped this from happening if I had bailed on school and stayed here with Zero. Because what if Jude had succeeded in kidnapping him?

"Did he hurt you?" I asked, taking the time to look him over but he seemed unharmed. Though, he was a werewolf and his--our species healed fast.

"I'm okay."

"Okay," I breathed and nodded, breathing out another. "Okay."

I squeezed his hands before I took my own back and bypassed Zero to get a closer look at Jude. I crouched down, getting a look at his face and I couldn't help but notice how awful his facial features looked. Jude's skin was pale, way paler than when I had last seen him.

He had dark, purple bags underneath his closed eyes and his cheeks were sunken in, sharpening his features. His lips were pale and cracked, and around his lips were tiny black veins. I leaned in closer, trying to get an even better look at those tiny black veins, but Jude's eyes flew open. While he jerked his head away, I startled and collapsed backwards; right onto my ass.

"Where the fuck...?" Jude's mumble trailed off while he took in his surroundings.

Though, when his almond shaped brown eyes landed on me, he cursed and looked away. Jude settled his gaze onto Zero which pissed me off. I glared, standing up from the ground and brushed off the imaginary dirt from my hands before I placed myself beside Zero and crossed my arms.

"Let me make a change to your half-assed sentence," I drawled. "What the fuck?"

Jude copied my glare. "I told you, Zero needs to come with me. He'll be safer."