Chapter Eleven

Ground Zero

Chapter Eleven

___________________________________________

I knew their goal wasn't to make me feel imprisoned... but I fucking felt like it.

Colton had all to kindly decided to give me the bedroom while the rest of them slept downstairs in the living room area; where the front door just so happened to be located. Meaning, the front door was no longer an option to sneak out from because I was pretty certain trying to sneak past four werewolves was a stupid idea.

They'd probably hear me on the first step down the staircase and I'd be right back to where I started with them on a more high alert. Caleb would be the first to all too happily volunteer to stand watch outside the bedroom. But I didn't like to be confined and I sure as hell didn't like the fact that Zero and Mimzy were confined in that gross, small cell either.

So, the front door wasn't an option but the window up on my right totally was. Yeah, it was a second story window, but I was a werewolf. I'll heal if I break anything... right?

Shit, there goes my confidence.

I sighed, because I still had to at least try.

I slid the window open, allowing the outside chill inside the room. The cool air did wonders for my heated skin, but I didn't want to focus my attention on just how heated my body was and ducked my head out. It was dark, so I couldn't really see much which wasn't all too helpful. Shouldn't I have like, I dunno good werewolf vision or something along those lines?

I glared, focusing out on the night, forcing my vision to see something but after a couple of minutes it seemed moot. I was jumping down blind. Grumbling, I stepped up on the windowsill and took in a deep breath before I started the count.

''One... Two...Two...Two...'' I started and I hated that my nerves began to get the best of me. ''Come on, you're not a pussy; just jump.''

Fuck. Three. I launched my body out the window and man, the fall was very short lived because my feet were on the hard grassy ground in no time. I didn't stop with the landing. No, I booked it across the dark field in the direction of the shack. My arms pumped at my sides as I ran, but honestly, it didn't even feel like I was running. It felt like I was floating with how fast my feet carried me and I found myself standing in front of the shack in no time.

Well, that was one useful werewolf ability right there and I wasn't even a little bit out of breath. It was even and light; rather than heavy and constricting due to asthma, but it would appear that now I was no longer human, I no longer had that burden of a health issue.

Sweet.

I opened the heavy metal door, wincing at the gunshot of a creak the door made as it ungracefully glided open. I took a quick glance over my shoulder to make sure the coast was clear before I hurried down the cement staircase. It still reeked down here, I realized, trying to remember to breath through my mouth rather than my nose as I approached Zero's cell door.

''Zero?'' I whispered before realizing we were alone down here and I could talk normally. I cleared my throat and spoke louder. ''Zero, it's me.''

''Hazzy?'' Came his response.

''Yeah, I'm busting you out.'' I said, unlocking the latch on the door and pulled the door open. I didn't have time to turn the light on in the cell before I was tackled into a death grip of a hug. ''Holy shit.'' I gasped, wondering just how Zero managed to get out of his shackles. ''Z-Zero, you're cutting off my air.''