Chapter Twenty-Three

Ground Zero

Chapter Twenty-Three

___________________________________________

I don't think I have ever been this relieved to go to school. Zero on the other hand, was not as thrilled I was gonna be gone for seven hours.

"No Hazzy!"

"Zero!"

"No!"

At this rate, I was gonna be late and clearly, yelling was getting the two of us nowhere. I needed another tactic, my eyes scanned around my bedroom. I had half a mind to jump out the window and book it for the high school, but Zero would without a doubt in my mind, chase after me and catch me. Another scan and this time around, I got an actual plan I could use.

"Zero." I said, softer this time.

He shifted ever so slightly away from the door, curious and a little suspicious. I took his hand into mine and guided him over to his bed, having him sit which he did, albeit reluctantly. Bright copper eyes on me like a hawk as I stalked over to my side of the room and picked up my bottle of melatonin which had sat abandoned on my nightstand. I read it was ten milligrams per pill, so I dumped out eight which seemed a tad aggressive but well, I wasn't gonna risk it not working.

So, I played it safe with a higher dose because I needed to get out of this house. I was feeling smothered by everyone here, especially Zero. I couldn't go anywhere in the house without him.

Literally, nowhere.

I couldn't even take a shit in peace without him hovering right outside the door, knocking and whining to be let in.

So, this should knock him out for awhile. At least long enough for me to escape to the high school.

I walked back over to the bed and sat down next to Zero and held the small white pills out to him in offering. They were dissolvable and tasted like mint, so he would be able to chew them just fine. His copper eyes darted down to my offered hand and he stared for a long minute before he slowly trailed his gaze up to meet with my own.

Though, I wasn't expecting tears to have gathered in his eyes with his bottom lip jutted out and wobbling. Zero sprang up, knocking the pills from my hand with his sharp hip as he stormed into the bathroom and slammed the door shut behind him.

"What the..." I trailed, standing up and ambled over to the bathroom door, readying to open it when I heard the very familiar click of the lock. "Are you kidding me? Zero, open the door!"

Silence.

"Zero!"

Nothing.

"Final chance, Zero." I insisted, pulling my cell phone out from my jean pocket and checked the time. Still had twenty minutes till first bell, but I had to get going if I actually wanted to make it on time.

Still no response.

I went to my bedroom door, but I hesitated with my hand on the door handle and chanced a look over my shoulder. The bathroom door was still closed, concealing Zero from my view but I knew how he would look. Upset. My stomach churned with guilt, but I ignored it and left our shared bedroom and made my way down to the kitchen area. Mia, Harriet, and Jack were seated at the table, all three eating cereal and fruit. Landon must have gone to work.

"Morning." I greeted halfheartedly, stealing a handful of grapes from the fruit bowl and shoved a few into my mouth. I noticed Mimzy was out in the backyard through the glass side door, sniffing around for an area to do her business.