Chapter Eight

Ground Zero

Chapter Eight

___________________________________________

''It's been five days, and sixteen year old Hazel Pickett is still missing,'' The local female news reporter stated while my school photo took up residence on the screen. ''Local authorities are beginning to suspect the worst, but his foster family is still holding out hope for his return, so please, if you've seen or have any information on this young man's whereabouts, call this number--''

I switched the television off before throwing the remote at the wall. Zero, who was seated beside me, stood up and went to retrieve the remote and brought it back to me. I stared down at the remote in his hand for a moment before I took it from him and threw it at the wall once again.

I was frustrated and angry because I wanted to go home.

I didn't want to be missing anymore.

I never wanted to be missing in the first place.

I've been gone for five days. That's a hundred and twenty hours since I've been home... I just want to go home, but how could I? I was no longer human. I had been changed into a werewolf for crying out loud. I was dangerous now. I mean, Christ, as a werewolf I had brutally murdered Bambi's whole squad and kept their bodies as my trophies.

What if I did that to my own family? How would I be able to live with myself if I did that?

Yeah, Mia grounded me a lot, and Landon always supported those groundings, and Harriet could really grind my gears, and Jack liked to force me to watch stupid toddler shows with him, but they were all still my family. Foster family or not; they were my family.

And I missed the gang, but I couldn't even go running to them for help because I could accidentally hurt them as well, and Colton for all his doucheness, and Caleb for all his assholeness, and Elijah for all his weirdness, didn't deserve that.

I was alone in this, well, not alone because I had Zero, but man, did I ever feel alone.

I released a drawn out depressed sigh, watching as Zero ambled his way back over towards me with the remote (once again) in hand. He held it out for me to take and I took it, but instead of throwing the small black device at the wall for the third time, I tossed it onto the couch cushion beside me.

I slumped back against the sofa and stared at Zero while he continued to stand before me. He was still looking malnourished and thin, dressed in a loose black t-shirt and gray linen boxers. His head of long, wildly unkept hair was in need of a cut while his wispy beard was in a desperate need of a shave.

I titled my head to the side ever so slightly. It was clear that I was going to be staying here with Zero for awhile and I couldn't leave him looking the way he was; he didn't deserve that. He had obviously taken care of me while I had been wolfed out, so the least I could do was clean him up.

''I'm giving you a haircut and a shave.''

He stared at me with innocent confusion. ''Not understand.''

''You will soon enough, Zero.''

▽♚△

It had been easy getting Zero into the bathroom upstairs and have him sit on the edge of the tub while I busied myself with grabbing a razor and shaving cream from underneath the sink.

I had already found a pair of usable scissors downstairs which were now in my hand while the razor was tucked away in the back of my jean pocket. What wasn't easy was getting Zero to sit still and not try to bite the scissors while I trimmed his beard; and then lathering his facial hair with the white foamy shaving cream had also been difficult because he kept trying to lick away the white foam.