Chapter Fifteen

Ground Zero

Chapter Fifteen

___________________________________________

The moment Mia and Landon excused themselves to collect themselves, I darted over to Zero and shook his shoulders. The only response was him releasing a long, drawn out groan. I huffed, and shook his shoulders harder.

"Zero, wake up." I urged, earning another groan but to my surprise, his eyes fluttered open, revealing his familiar copper orbs. He looked dazed, and then confused, and then to my panic, he looked to be on alert. Zero shot up, narrowly missing hitting his head off my face as he scanned his unfamiliar surroundings. "Zero?"

He snapped his focus onto me, like he was now only realizing I was in front of him. "Hazzy?"

"Yeah--" I started but abruptly stopped talking to gasp as he lunged at me and I found myself toppling backwards with Zero on top of me, hugging me. He nuzzled and nosed at the bite mark he left on my neck, murmuring nonsense, or rather it wasn't nonsense but his mother tongue.

I wondered how well Zero actually spoke in German, compared to English.

"Hazzy, Hazzy, bergwerk," He said. "Du gehörst mir."

"Zero, you need to listen to me." I whispered, ignoring his gibberish and craned my neck towards the door to make sure we were still alone before I wrestled Zero off of me, and positioned him to sit across from me. He reached out to me, but I gently swatted him away and shook my head. "You need to listen to me, Zero."

"Hazzy--" He started whining, but I shushed him which caused him to pout.

"You need to be good and quiet, Zero. You're no longer in the woods. For this to work, you need to listen to me and again, be good and quiet. Which means no growling, no wolfing out and..." I trailed, realizing he wasn't comprehending my words in his human form. I sighed. "Just no speak. No grrrrring. No, no, no. Be good. Not bad. And no being mean."

He blinked, once, twice, three times before he lunged at me again and engulfed me in another hug, but this time I steeled myself so I didn't end up with my back pressed against the floor. I rolled my eyes and went to wrestle him off once again when the door clicked open. My heart jumped and Zero started growling. A low, quiet growl that didn't sound threatening, more curious. How I understood his growls was beyond me. Maybe it was my inner werewolf translating the variety of growls.

No. Gods, that sounded stupid.

"Hazel--"

"It's okay, Zero. We're safe now." I said, loud enough for Detective Cole to hear near the door, but lowered my voice to barely above a whisper so just Zero would hear. "Stop growling right now."

Surprisingly, he stopped. I couldn't seriously be that lucky.

"He's awake." She stated, sounding relieved and I heard her step forward which had Zero's growling start back up. I knew I couldn't be that lucky.

"Zero." I hissed to him. He once again stopped but grumbled and hugged me tighter before burying his face against the side of my neck.

"...Zero seems quite attached to you."

"I think Zero has been missing for quite some time. I was a new and safe face..." I said in return. "He doesn't have very good English, pretty sure his mother tongue is German. He only knows and understand few words in English."

"Ah, that will make it harder to question him. Hear his side..." And well she counted that as a loss, I counted it as a win.

"Detective Cole." Mia and Landon both greeted from the hallway.