Chapter Twenty-Four

Ground Zero

Chapter Twenty-Four

___________________________________________

Jude, or Four, or whatever the fuck his name is; something was seriously off about him.

Something I couldn't quite put my finger on, but whatever it was, caused the hair on my arms and neck to rise. I hated that I was so hyper aware of Jude seated right next to me. Every breath, every shift in his seat, every drawn out sigh, every annoying drum of his fingers against the desk, and the not so shy side eye glances towards yours truly, but I refused to acknowledge those glances.

In fact, I wasn't going to acknowledge him period.

"Psst."

I sucked the front of my teeth, keeping my focus straight ahead while the homeroom teacher rambled on. I wasn't going to talk to Jude until I've talked to Zero and see if he knew or knew of this guy, but if the feeling inside my gut was anything to go by, this bastard was lying through his teeth.

Why? Now that was the winning question.

Zero.

Four.

In between, one, two, three...

The underground lab in the woods, there had been a bunch of papers on Zero and Zero alone. There had been no paper trail left behind to believe that there were others like Zero. Also, there had only been one cell next to the lab with one set of chains. Making it even harder to believe Jude had also been held captive and tortured by that sick old fuck Herbert, as well as others.

Unless, well, Jude was never held captive.

Instead, he willingly put himself through whatever needed to be like Zero. As well as the other subjects. If there were other subjects anyway. Meaning, Zero had literally been ground zero for this unnatural and twisted project. He had been the unwilling and abused and tortured guinea pig. Used and abused all for what? Because some betas weren't happy they were betas and thought they deserved to become alphas?

"You a deaf wolf or something?" Jude whispered lowly. So low in fact, I was positive only those with were-like-creature hearing could actually hear. I continued to ignore him. "Come on, Hazel."

I clenched my fists underneath the table. If Jude had been a willing subject, he had to of known about the condition Herbert had forcefully kept Zero in, and that pissed me the fuck off. Jude pissed me the fuck off.

"Hazel. Haz. Hazzy." He sing songed teasingly and that nickname was what caused me to snap.

"You're lying," I hissed, finally looking at him. Pleased to see that stupid little smirk of his falter. "Sour memories, you say. They can't be as sour as Zero's, but you know that already, don't you?"

The sound of the bell couldn't have come at a better time. I stood from my chair and angrily grabbed hold of my backpack and stormed from the classroom. Merging into the hallway with the rest of the bustling students and tried to focus my mind on getting to my second class, but my thoughts kept diverting back to Jude and that smug ass smirk he wore.

Man, how I wanted to go back and punch that smirk right off his face, but punching could be what sent my ass to a boarding school. I still had to be careful and keep myself in check, especially with my actions. Like Landon said, no more; and this time around, I truly believed this was the last warning they'd give me.

I couldn't risk tripping up because of Jude. Fuck him. He wasn't even worth it... at least, not until I knew more about him and why he was lying. Only then, and off school property might I add, will I punch the smug smirk right off his face and I will relish in doing so.