Chapter Nineteen

Ground Zero

Chapter Nineteen

___________________________________________

I loathed to admit this, but being a werewolf had it's fucking perks; not the drug. I mean, actual, beneficial perks that didn't make you constipated as fuck. Not only could I run extremely fast without driving myself into a really scary asthma attack, but I could see and smell and hear so much better.

I was also stronger.

It was...truly amazing.

But, yeah, there was a fucking but, always had to be a stupid but; my new and improved self was rising suspicions and concerns from both Mia and Landon.

Like the fact I had been shot not too long ago and now, there was no trace of a wound or scar as proof, it was like it had never happened. Plus, I hadn't needed to use my inhaler lately which was just as suspicious. Also, most of the food I had liked to eat was no longer the case. A lot of it tasted extremely vile to me.

Like mustard. I now fucking hated mustard with a passion. How had I managed to eat it and enjoy it before on my sandwiches and hamburgers? I felt my lip curl up in disgust at the thought, trying to focus my attention on my homework package my teachers so fucking kindly put together for me, but it was moot. I just didn't feel like doing homework tonight and I knew if I pushed myself too, the answers would be half-assed and shit.

So, basically a waste of my damn time and a waste of the teachers who were going to grade it.

But I knew I was going to have to complete the package soon. I couldn't arrive back at school next week with it incomplete. Yeah, I actually cared about my grades, what of it? I knew I couldn't be a reckless gang member my whole life. I was gonna make something of myself, not a lawyer or a doctor like my foster parents, but something.

Something that would make Mia and Landon and myself proud...like a pilot. Yeah, I'd look hot as fuck in a pilot uniform, and not to mention I would get to fly a whole damn plan, travel around the world and hear the applause of the passengers as we landed, directed towards your truly.

Or you know, something like that...

Suddenly feeling even more frustrated with the work package, I shoved it away from me angrily. I didn't like to think about my future. I didn't like to think about making Mia and Landon proud because what if I ended up like my biological parents instead? I mean, I knew I was on the path towards becoming like them.

I did drugs. I stole. I illegally handled firearms. Hell, I even dealt drugs.

Good for nothing, wastes of oxygen. That's what they were. That's what I was becoming. Before Mia and Landon, my life had been so shitty. My parents were so shitty. There would be nights I went to bed starving... Hell, there would be nights I didn't have a bed and had to fall asleep on a bench in the park starving.

All the money my parents had went towards their drugs and alcohol.

I didn't understand why they had even kept me in the first place... I knew my sperm donor didn't want me. He had made that quite clear from the very beginning, but the woman who birthed me selfishly wanted to keep me. Why? I had no fucking idea and there was no way in hell I was going to contact her and ask. I was just another neglected expense they didn't want to put any of their 'hard earned' street money towards.

Well, fuck them. They were my past and they could fucking stay there because neither of them were ever, ever going to touch my future.

I swallowed hard, my eyes darting towards the globe on my desk and I clenched my teeth. A long moment passed as I stared, the temptation so strong. I wasn't addicted to drugs, but rather addicted to the escape they granted me.