Chapter Seventeen

Ground Zero

Chapter Seventeen

___________________________________________

In the first five seconds of waking up, it was utter bliss. Peaceful even.

I missed these types of mornings. Sunlight streamed through my window, but it wasn't blindingly bright, which led me to believe it was late in the afternoon. I blinked my eyes a few times before I stretched and yawned, pleased to be in my own bed, under my own covers, and safe inside my own room.

Rather then waking up in that hellhole in the woods...and Zero.

Speaking of Zero, I rolled over and peered over the edge of my bed where Zero's makeshift bed was...he wasn't there. I jolted and scrambled around my bed before I stumbled to the floor and hurried from my bedroom. I raced down the staircase, hearing voices from the kitchen so I headed in that direction, but didn't enter right away. Instead I lingered outside the threshold. I heard Mia and Landon, they were whispering to one another, way too low for me to hear, even with my werewolf hearing.

I sighed and entered the kitchen, revealing myself to them. Theywere both near the sink with the tap on and dishwasher open.

"Morning." I greeted, peering around for any sign of Zero, but he was not in sight.

"Good morning, Hazel." Landon returned while Mia asked. "How did you sleep?"

"Uh, good. Really good." I answered and with one final scan of the kitchen, I asked. "Where's Zero?"

"He's in the living room watching cartoons with Jack and Harriet."

"It would appear Jack and Zero have taken a liking to each other," Mia said with her award-winning motherly smile before adding, "He's quite good with Jack, which is a good sign. And his appointed social worker came by earlier, Bridget who is fantastic by the way, and she says Zero is an incredibly sweet boy which I didn't doubt. He is a sweetie."

"Right, uhm, that's good. How did the rest of the visit with the social worker go?"

"It went smoothly. Zero will remain in our care unless someone claims him."

"What do you mean claim him?" I asked, causing Mia and Landon to exchange glances with each other before they returned their gazes back onto me.

"Well, Zero could have biological relatives out there looking for him, Hazel." Landon pointed out, earning a encouraging nod from Mia.

I frowned, but decided against commenting; because what could I really say to Mia and Landon? Definitely not sorry, but it wouldn't be a good idea to give Zero over to his biological relatives because Zero isn't human and surprise, neither am I. Talk about a hard conversation that would probably end with me being thrown into a room with white padded walls and a beautiful straight jacket to match.

So no, I couldn't share any of my concerns with them regarding Zero, or myself for that matter. We weren't human. We were fucking werewolves. God, I wish it was as simple as Twilight made it out to be. Oh, you're a vampire? Okay. Werewolves are a thing too? Well shit, okay.

No, this was real life and real life was never simple. It was a shit show and you're the star. Cue the fucking jazz hands.

"You want some breakfast?" Mia asked, already going over to the fridge to find me something for breakfast because turning down food was a no, no. I'm surprised I wasn't overweight with how much food Mia expected me to eat. She said I was a growing boy, but dammit, I'm quite content with my waistline. Thank you, very much.