Chapter 1 - (1.3K Words)

You absolutely did not want to sit next to this man for a twelve hour flight. The plane had left the ground not even five minutes ago, and you were already annoyed with the man beside you. While he was talking your ear off, you gave him encouraging nods. You weren't actually interested in what he had to say. But you figured that at some point, he would get bored and hopefully shut up.

But of course, you ended up being wrong. At least you weren't seated next to the mother who was desperately trying to quiet the young child she was swaddling in her arms. Things could always be worse, you reminded yourself.

In less than twenty minutes, you had learned almost everything all about the guy next to you. You learned that he was always away from home because he was on so many business trips, and he missed both of his kids and his wife. You were surprised by this, he didn't seem much older than you. He wanted to quit his job, but he knew that meant that he would end up losing most of his family's income.

Even as the attendants were passing out the dinner, he insisted on talking. It was as if he was a faucet that just kept spewing out water. He seemed to be eating at the same time that he was speaking, which left you partially in awe. How could someone talk so much??

Just like you, it was his first time going to South Korea. He told you how he had tried learning bits and pieces of the language, but nothing had stuck. He didn't remember much of anything, only the basics. He didn't even know how to read Hangul.

At least I'm not off as bad as he is, you thought.

You had taken three years of tutoring and done some independent studies. You knew enough to get yourself around, but you were by no means fluent. You were way better at writing and reading than you were with speaking. By their standards, you were probably still at a kindergarten level. At least it was better than nothing.

You adjusted your glasses and ruffled your hair under your beanie, waiting for the attendants to come back and take what was left of your meal. All the while, the man next to you was still talking. You were getting slightly annoyed with him, mainly because he was treating you like you were his therapist. At least he didn't expect you to give him a response.

While he was talking, your mind started to wander. It wasn't that hard to do, he was fairly easy to block out of your head. Besides, it wasn't like you were going to listen to him for the entire flight. You might scream if that happened.

After a while, you noticed that the man beside you stopped talking. You looked over at his sleeping face, which was resting against the airplane window. Now the constant drone of his voice was gone. You let out a contented sigh, and fell back in your seat. At least you could rest now, too.

You signed and reached down beneath your feet, pulling at your purple backpack. Out of the side pocket, you pulled your headphones. Music was the only way you were going to get any sleep on this flight.

You plugged the headphones into your ears, pressed play, laid down, and closed your eyes.

* * * *

You saw your mother and father, standing hand in hand before you. Beside them was your little brother, who was hiding behind your mother's skirt. They were all blubbering and teary-eyed, and they were seeing you off as you went down the terminal towards the airplane.

You were going to visit your aunt in South Korea, all on your own. Why? You were the only one in your family that she invited.

Although she was your dad's twin, they hadn't spoken in years. She had gone off and started a hugely successful company in South Korea, while your father settled down with your mom and started a family. As far as you knew, your aunt never had somebody like that in her life. All she had was an obscure business to run; you weren't even sure what her company did.

Your parents didn't talk about her, and you weren't sure why. It was if they had forgotten that she existed entirely. You figured they had a falling out, or there was other family business that kept them apart. Then one day, your father found a letter in the mail addressed from her to you.

It was strange. She never wrote to your family, ever. All she ever did was send a box of gifts every year around Christmas time. She never sent anything around your birthdays, or anything else. But here she was, sending her only niece a letter.

You weren't the only one that was suspicious. Your parents had waited almost two days to give you the letter. When you received it from them, you noticed that they had torn it open. They had probably gone over the letter hundreds and thousands of times, looking for any hint as to why she wrote it.

Dear (Y/N),

I can't believe how old you're getting these days. It's been so long since I've seen you, and I miss you. I know that I haven't been around as much as I used to be. I want to make it up to you by inviting you to come and spend some time with me in South Korea. I know that you were really excited when you started learning Korean, and I hope that you are still as enthusiastic about it. If you can take two weeks out of your summer to come up to Seoul and see me, I would be extremely pleased to see you again.

Love,

Your Aunt

The only other thing in the envelope was a slip of paper with an address on it. There was no money, no ticket, no anything else.

Your parents didn't want you to go at all. They had heard some interesting things about Seoul, and almost none of them were good. They were even more suspicious of your aunt, who always seemed to just keep her distance. But still, you convinced them to let you go. It wasn't that hard, anyway. All you had to do was mention how long it had been since you had seen your only aunt, and they bought you a passport and a plane ticket.

Before school had ended, most of your friends had known about the trip that you were going to take this summer. A couple of them were more excited for your trip than you were. They kept talking you up about the trip, and made sure that you would get them a gift. By now, you had forgotten who all had asked you to get something, so you just decided to get a little bit of something for everyone.

Of course, your family came first. As they were waving you off, you were remembering exactly what you were going to get each of them. You were going to get your mother a piece of jewelry. You weren't exactly sure what, but you'd know it when you saw it. You were going to get your father a painting, but not just any painting. Long ago, his favorite artist moved to South Korea and began painting there. So, the least you could do was bring him a painting. You were going to get your brother mounds upon mounds of candy. It was the only thing that he would even bother to enjoy.

You waved to your family one more time, and then you turned down the airport terminal.