Chapter 23 - (2.3K Words)

"Ow!" You yelled, pulling your hand away. "Stop it, that hurts!"

"Maybe it wouldn't hurt so much if you would stop moving," Jungkook said matter-of-factly, grabbing your wrist and pulling it towards him. "Besides, we have to get all of the glass out of your hand that we can, otherwise it will feel even worse. You don't want that, right?"

"No, you're right, I don't," you sighed defeatedly, and balled up your other hand into a fist. You knew Jungkook was right, but you didn't want him to be. It was just so unbelievably painful!

"That's what I thought. Now, brace yourself," Jungkook said, picking up the medical pliers that were resting on the counter. The tips were already smeared with blood, all your own. "It's going to hurt for only a second."

You squeezed your eyes shut and waited. It wasn't long before you could feel the soft skin of your palm ripping open. Your fist instantly tightened, and you could feel your sharp fingernails pressing deep into your skin. Your muscles were screaming in pain, but you did your best to keep yourself from pulling away and making things worse. The piece of glass slid loose from your skin, and you felt fresh air hit the open wound.

As soon as Jungkook pulled the bloody pliers away, you pulled your hand in close to you. You looked at the nasty hole that the glass shard had left in your hand.You softly cradled it against you, but you tried to keep your palm as far away from yourself as you could. You felt a new set of warm tears work their way down your cold and wet cheeks.

I'm definitely going to have scars from this.

"You're doing great," Jungkook said, encouragingly patting you on the shoulder. "There are only a few more pieces that we have to remove, and that looked like it was the worst one. They should get easier to remove from here on out."

"I hope so," you said, looking over at the pliers on the table. Just next to them, sitting atop a faded red rag were all the shards of glass Jungkook had taken out of you so far. They were all cracked, and broken at weird angles. The dark red of your blood coated each piece and hid their own light blue-green color.

"Just try to focus on something else," Jungkook suggested, picking up the pliers again. "It'll make time go by faster."

You nodded, and tried to distract yourself. It wasn't easy: The infirmary wasn't the most interesting room in the house. The room was very dark and you couldn't see much, mainly because Jungkook only bothered to hit one lightswitch on the way in. From what you could see, there were two cabinets full of medical supplies, tons of medical equipment, and enough beds for seven people. You were sitting on one of the beds while Jungkook was standing over you.

You felt your skin starting to tear open again, and you gritted your teeth to keep yourself from screaming. It was nowhere near as bad as the last one and it didn't last as long either, but they had started taking a toll on your hand. You were starting to get worn out because of it.

You heard a clanking, and soon enough, another piece of glass was being ripped out of your hand. A muscle in your hand twinged, and hot, searing pain shot through your entire arm. You threw your head back and punched the bed beside you, but the pain left as quickly as it had come.

"Please," you gasped through gritted teeth, "tell me we're done."

"There's just one more left, and you're doing great," Jungkook cooed, carefully moving the pliers towards you again. "You're almost done, okay? just bare with me for a little bit longer."

You nodded your head, and didn't even bother to wipe the tears away from your cheek. That could wait for when this was all over. You wanted this to be over with. You wanted the pain to stop. You wanted your hand back.