Chapter 18 - (1.5K Words)

You sat quietly beside Namjoon as he drove the car through the downpour of rain. Both of you had been silent since the moment you took off. All you could hear was the constant, rhythmic drone of the rain hitting the windshield. It was almost relaxing.

Almost.

You looked out your window at the passing landscape. What you could see looked dull and washed up because the sun was blocked out by the large storm clouds overhead. The rain wasn't showing any signs of stopping, and it had already been raining for about an hour.

It looks just as gloomy as I feel.

This was the only time that Namjoon hadn't put a bag over your head while you were in the car. It didn't matter anyway: You had no idea where the hell you were right now. You probably wouldn't even remember any of the land around you, either.

You pulled Mark's jacket tight over your form. You crossed your arms over your chest, trying to keep warm. The car didn't have a very good heating system, and you were suffering for it.

You heard Namjoon tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. He sighed quietly, and leaned forward to look out the window. He clicked his tongue and shook his head before leaning back in his seat.

"If it rains like this for much longer, the whole country might drown," Namjoon spoke softly, trying to start a conversation with you.

I have nothing else to do; I might as well take the bait.

"I hope it doesn't," you said, trying to stay light-hearted. "We don't have a boat, and I'm not a very good swimmer."

"I don't believe that," Namjoon said, shaking his head. "I've never met someone that's bad at swimming."

"Then you don't know me very well," you laughed, pushing the hair out of your eyes. "I'm a very bad swimmer. I can only doggy paddle."

"Don't worry, Princess, I wouldn't let you drown," Namjoon said, smiling. "I'm a really good swimmer. Jin says it's because I'm part fish, but I don't think that's true." You imagined Namjoon with fins and puckered fish lips and laughed.

"Hey, what's so funny, Princess?" Namjoon asked, smiling with amusement. "You're not laughing at me, are you?"

"I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you," you said, wiping a tear away from your eye. "I don't think you're part fish."

"Well, even if I'm not, I'm still a very good swimmer. I could swim up the Han River in less than a day, if I really wanted to," Namjoon bragged.

"I'd like to see that," you giggled. "I'll cheer you on from the sidelines."

"But, I said I could do it if I wanted to," Namjoon stuttered. "I said that I could, not that I wanted to."

You rolled your eyes at him, and tried to keep yourself from laughing. You liked him like this. Why couldn't he always be this way?

"Yah, you're no fun, Joonie," you whined, playfully hitting him in the arm.

"Hey, don't hit me! I'm driving," Namjoon squealed, letting the car swerve slightly as he was speaking. "And did you just call me Joonie?"

The smile left your face. You stared down at your lap, realizing that you had just addressed him as something other than Namjoon. You were silent a second before you answered him.

"Um, yeah, I-I did," you stuttered. "It's what Jimin called you. I used it on accident. I'm sorry, if you don't want me to use it, I won't do it--"

"No it's okay, I like it."

You looked up, and he had a big smile on his face. His eyes were still focused on the road, but you could tell something had changed. His eyes were brighter than the rest of the world around you; it made you feel unusually warm inside.