Chapter 5

'That's my baby boy, James.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Avi looks at me confused. "You have a son?" I sigh. "Had, I had a son." I look down at my hands and he takes one in his hand.

"I was 16 and in a abusive relationship. It wasn't unusual for him to um, you know." Avi nods knowing what I'm talking about. "Well one day he screwed up and got me pregnant. It didn't take the school long to find out that I was pregnant, I was called everything you can think of. Of course my boyfriend didn't care, he actually left me right before the school found out. So instead of letting everything roll off my back, I left the school till I had James. I had him back in June and put him up for adoption. That is the only picture of him I have." I tell him with tears running down my face. Avi pulls me into a hug and I feel safe. "I'm sorry Kirstie." I pull back and sniffle. "It's ok. I gave both him and myself a better chance." I take the picture back and put it on my night stand. I sit back down and look at Avi. "Sorry to dump all of this on you. I just felt I could trust you." He pulls me into another hug. "It's ok. I'm glad you trust me." Just then I hear my door open. I look up and see my mom standing there. "Dinners ready." She tells us. I nod and she walks away. "Do you want to stay for dinner?" I ask. He looks at his phone and sigh. "I wish I could, but Esther is coming to get me. Apparently there's a family thing." "Oh, ok." We both get off the bed and I walk him to the door. "I'll see you tomorrow." He says and kisses my cheek before running to Esther's car. I stand there and wave while they pull out of the drive way.

I walk into the dinning room and see my mom looking at me. I sit down and we start eating. After a few minutes of silence my mom speaks up. "So you and Avi?" I practically choke on my food. "No, there's nothing going on between us." I say while moving my food around. "Mhmm."

After dinner I go up to my room and fall asleep.

IN THE MORNING

I get up about 45 minutes before my alarm, so I decide to take a nice relaxing shower.

When I get out I put on a pair of mint shorts, a black lace tank top, and black sandals. For make up a I winged eyeliner, and natural eye shadow. I look at my phone and see I have 45 minutes to get to school. I throw my hair in a messy bun and run to my car. On the way to school I stop by Starbucks.

I park my car and walk inside. While standing in line I feel someone pick me up. I let out a squeal and elbow the person in the shoulder, causing them to drop me. I spin around ready to yell when I see that the person was Avi. I let out a breath. "Don't do that!" I yell while punching his arm. He grins at me and throws his are over my shoulder. "Sorry." I look back at the line and see it is my turn. I order and go stand off to the side. After Avi orders he comes to stand by me. "So, where's Esther?" "Probably on her way to school. I left before her and walked here." "Oh." 'Kirstie' I grab my drink and wait for Avi. Once he gets his we walk out. "You want a ride?" "Sure, thanks." We get in my car and drive to school.

AT SCHOOL

I get out of the car and Avi follows. "Kirstie!" I turn around and see Scoot and Mitch running over. They pull me into a hug. "Hey girly, Avi" Avi smiles. "I'm going to go find Esther. See yall later." I smile at Avi as he walks into the building. I look back at Scott and Mitch and they are giving me a look. "So Mr. Kaplan?" Mitch says while wiggling his eyebrows. I roll my eyes. "Nothing is happening between us. We're just friend." "Mhmm sure." They both walk off laughing. I shrug my shoulders and head to my locker. Just then the bell rigns. "Ugh." I run to class and thankfully the teacher isn't here yet. I quickly take my seat by Esther. I wave then pull out my notebook.

Next class
I walk into music class and see that there is a list on the board. I go up to see what is about.
Group preforming today
-Kirstie, Avi, Mitch, Scott, and Kevin
Crap I forgot about that. We never even met up to discuss what to do. I run over to where they are sitting. "Guys we never met up to discuss a song." I practically scream and they laugh. "Don't worry, last night I remembered we were singing today and printed out some stuff." Scott says while hanging me a piece of paper. 'Somebody I used to know' "ok, this will work." I say while sitting down. "Ok class lets have the first group come up." We all stand up and get in a line.
Now and then I think of when we were together
Like when you said you felt so happy you could die
I told myself that you were right for me
But felt so lonely in your company
But that was love and it's an ache I still remember

But you didn't have to cut me off
Make it like it never happened and that we were nothing
I don't even need your love, but you treat me like a stranger
And that feels so rough

No, you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records
And then change your number
Guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know

Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over
But had me believin' it was always something that I'd done

But I don't wanna live that way
Reading into every word you say
You said that you could let it go
And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know

But you didn't have cut me off
Make it like it never happened and that we were nothing
I don't even need your love, but you treat me like a stranger
and that feels so rough

No, you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect you records
And then change your number
Guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know

Somebody that I used to know

We finish the song and everyone cheers. We take our seats and nothing really happens the rest of class.

After school
I get home and see that I have mail. I open it and inside I find a picture of James. I flip the picture over and see a letter.
Dear Kirstie,
I thought I would send you a picture of James. He's a great little boy, always smile, and super curious. I show him a picture of you all the time and his grows.
From Jess.
A tear runs my face and I smile. I pull out my phone and take a picture of the picture. I send it to Avi.

Kit😺: Look what I just got in the mail. *insert picture

I hit send and it doesn't take long for him to reply.

Basscannon💛: He's adorible, just like his mom.😉
I blush and set my phone down.

After about an hour I finish my homework and take a nap.