Chapter 23

May

"Are you sure you've got him?" I ask while running around the house looking for my speech. "For the last time yes. It's only for an our." My mom says. "Today is graduation day and I couldn't be more nervous. I am valedictorian so I have to give a speech. "Kirstin, calm down everything is going to be ok." She says while grabbing my shoulders. I take a deep breath and nod. "Your right, everything's going to be ok." Just then there is a knock at the door. "That's Avi. I'll see you two later." I kiss James' cheek then my mom's. When I open the door I see Avi's eyes widen. I blush. "You look beautiful babe." "Thanks." Today I am wear a navy blue 2 piece dress with white and red beading, navy blue heels, with my personalized cap. About 2 weeks ago I dyed my hair a silvery color, so I have it in loose curls.

 About 2 weeks ago I dyed my hair a silvery color, so I have it in loose curls

"Let's go." I grab my purse from beside the door and we walk to his jeep. Like the gentlemen he is, he opens my door and helps me up into the jeep. "So how was James today?" Avi asks while pulling out of my drive way. "He was good. Ugh, I can't believe he'll be a year next month. My baby boy is getting so big." Avi chuckles. "I know, he's already trying to talk."

Soon we pull up at the school and slip on my gown. "Everyone in alphabetical order by last name!" Principal Jones yells while going up and down the line. Avi turns to me. "See you in a little while. Good luck on your speech you'll do amazing." He says before kissing me. "Thanks." He walks to the K's and stands next to Esther  and Tori while I go stand in the M's. While standing there Principal Jones walks over to me. "Do you have your speech ready?" I nod. "Sure do." "Ok, good." She walks off and I pull out my phone. I see a text from Mom. I open it and see she sent of picture of James with my grandparents. I smile and reply.

'Awww, my sweet boy. Hey when you get here will you come get my bag I didn't think about leaving it in the car.'

I put the phone back in my bag and wait for my mom. Soon I see her pull up and my grandparents get out. "Here you go." I say once she comes over with James on her hip. She goes to walk off and find seats but James starts crying and reaching towards me. She tries to calm him down but nothing works. "Mom let me see him." "You can't you are fixing to walk." She says. I shrug. "Looks like James is going to walk with me. And if anyone wants to say something then they can deal with an angry Momma bear." I say while taking James. Mom laughs before kissing the side of my head. "Love you Kirstin. See you in a few." She leads my grandparents inside and I get back in line. "Can you say Momma?" I ask in a baby voice. "Mo." I smile. "That's close. Say Momma." He squeals and hits my chest with his hands. I laugh and play with his little hands. Just then Principal Jones runs by when she stops in her tracks and looks at me. "Ummm, Kirstie you do realize we're fixing to walk in less than 2 minutes?" I nod. "Yup. And my son is walking with me." "I'm afraid you can't doo that." "Why not? It's not in any rule book." "Because it will show badly about our school." She says. I look at her wide eyed and go to say something. But before I can someone beats me to it. "Who cares! It's her baby and its her graduation. It should be her choice if she wants him to walk with her." The girl behind me says. Soon I hear more than one person agreeing with the girl. I smile and look back at Principal Jones. "I think it's time to walk." I say innocently. She rolls her eyes before heading to the front. I look at the girl behind me. "Thank you....." "Nichole and it's no problem."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It is my honor to introduce our valedictorian, Kirstie Maldonado." I stand up with James and head up onto stage. "Welcome everyone to Class of 2017 graduation. As Principal Jones said my name is Kirstie Maldonado and this is my son James. Now I'm not going to spend this whole speech saying that this is the next step in our lives or it only goes up from here. We all know this is the next step and that it's not always going to go up from here. I'm going to tell you that no matter what happens there is always something you can do about it. Not sure if that makes since to all of yall but it did to me." I say with a laugh. "Anyways what I mean is that even in the bad you can always find something to do about it. Weather its simply your getting bad grade or it's end up in a bad spot in your life. I hit what I would call a bad spot last year. I had my son and gave him up. I became depressed about it. It took some time but I did something about it. I moved away from the bad memories and made new friends." While I'm talking James starts to cry. "I'm so sorry guys." Avi quickly runs up on stage and takes James so I can finish. "Speaking one of my new friends, this is Avi Kaplan, my boy friend and one of the best things to ever happen to me. He stepped up and decided to be James' father figure and for that I couldn't be more grateful." I look over at Avi and give him a small smile before looking back at the crowd. "So to my peers remember there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. And thank you for an amazing year." I go to walk off when I hear James behind me. "Momma." I gasp and turn around when I do I find Avi down on one knee. I gasp.

Kirstin Taylor Maldonado, you are an extraordinary woman that I am lucky enough to call my girlfriend. Over the past year you have made me a better person in every way. You always say that you a thankful I stepped up as James' father figure when in reality I should be thankful you allowed me into not only James' life but your life also. When I'm with you there's nothing I would want to change............ Well nothing but one thing and that's me calling you my girlfriend. I do want to change that. I want to change it to were I call you my wife. So will you Kirstin Taylor Maldonado do my the incredible honor of being called Kirstin Taylor Kaplan?" By now I have tears running down my face. "Avriel Benjamin Kaplan I would love nothing more than to have your last name." He smiles and slides the ring on my finger before standing up. I pull him into a kiss careful that he doesn't drop James. "I love you." I say when we pull back. The crowd 'aww's' and I blush. We get off stage and Principal Jones walks back up to the podium to call names.

Soon I hear my name. "Kirstin Maldonado." Walk up and take my diploma. Once I have it I hear the gang yelling and cheering. I smile and head back to my seat. Once everyone has their diplomas we are asked to stand. "Would the class of 2017 now move their tassels over, indicating you are now graduates. Congratulations . Also before everyone leaves I have asked our sing off winners, Pentatonix, to sing one last song before they become international stars." She says before we come up on stage. "Tonight we are going to be singing an original medley, its called Evolution of music. Hope yall enjoy." Scott says before counting us in.

Everyone cheers as we finish and families soon start finding their kids. It doesn't take long for the rest of the gang  and our families to come up on stage. "Kit your getting married!!!" Tori squeals while pulling me into a bone crushing hug. Soon the whole gang is in on the hug. "Hey guys, I kind of need to breath in order to live." I wheeze. They all laugh and let go. "Well let me see the ring!" Mitch says while grabbing my hand. The ring is beautiful and simple, it has a silver band, with a bigger diamond in the middle and smaller ones on the sides. "It's beautiful Kitty." Mitch says. "Yeah, it really is." I look over at Avi and see him talking to his parents with James in his arms.

Everyday I am so thankful for my friends and that I got to experience the scariest thing there is with them............High school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whelp I'm sad to say this is the last chapter next will be the epilogue. Thank you to everyone who has read this story. Yall are absolutely amazing and I love every single one of yall.

Don't forget tp vote and comment

Love yall💚

Hannah