Chapter 15

I sat in the parking lot, waiting for Zayn to show up so we could go to the first doctors appointment. It was already four forty-five and I'd been sitting there for fifteen minutes. I went to the hospital right after I got off work. I was too anxious to go home and see my roommates before coming. They would have just made the situation more stressful than it needed to be.

As I sat in the last row of the parking lot, I began to think of what was to come. I was going to see my, mine and Zayn's, baby for the first time today. It was a little scary that all of this was about to become so much more real than it already had been. Getting to see my little boy or girl was going to be emotional. I was already accepting the fact that I was going to be a mother, and seeing the actual proof for the first time wasn't going to be easy.

I was too consumed by my thoughts and didn't realize Zayn had pulled his car up next to mine. There was a light tapping on the passenger side window that brought me back to reality.

I quickly turned off the car and got out. Zayn and I started to walk towards the large building in silence. One of the only things I could think of was how stupid we were to park so far away. What if the paparazzi found out we were here? Then he would have to explain in some interview why there were pictures of him at a hospital with me.

I picked up the pace a little, and Zayn followed me into the building. We walked up to the information desk to find out where we needed to go.

"Hi. How can I help you?" The middle aged woman wearing a blue shirt that said "volunteer" on the front asked.

Zayn stood their awkward and quiet, while I dealt with the woman. "I'm here to see Dr. Steven Mitchell. I'm pregnant and we're here for our first appointment."

The lady quickly looked on some spreadsheet with a bunch of names printed on the paper. "You will be going to the fifth floor. Just go down this hallway," she pointed to the left, "and the elevators are right at the end."

"Thank you." I smiled and started to walk towards the elevators with Zayn following closely behind me.

We were silent the whole way up to the pregnancy wing of the hospital. When we got to the correct floor, there was a sign directing us. One arrow pointed down a hall to labor and delivery. Seeing those words put fear in my mind. The other arrow pointed to the general check up area. We followed that arrow to a large waiting room that was mostly.empty. It was late enough in the day, so people were at home with their families by now. Zayn sat down in one of the uncomfortable hospital chairs while I went to check in. When I was done I went to join him, putting and empty chair between us.

It was weird being here. I never expected this at twenty. I never expected this with Zayn, but he's the one I was here with. I never expected it to be so awkward and quiet. Zayn and I hadn't said two words to each other and that freaked me out more. I wanted him to tell me everything was going to be okay. I wanted him to at least acknowledge the fact that we were here for our baby instead of making me feel like I was alone.

A few minutes passed before a small, bubbly blond nurse came out and called me back. She checked my height and weight and then brought us back to a room where she left us alone once again. This time was different though because we were stuck in an exam room together. Zayn was sitting in a chair shoved in the corner and I was sitting on top of the table, my bottom half naked but covered by a sheet, and sitting on top of that paper that crinkles every time you move. This silent act was getting old, and I couldn't take it any longer.