Chapter 37

It's late, so this is unedited. I'll go back and do that soon.

-------------------------------------------------------

“And we were sitting there with Valentina and Zayn said he had one more gift to give to me.” I explained to Sabrina, Cecilia, and Alexis. I took an hour to go out to lunch with them a few days after Christmas. “He started talking about how much he loves me and how I make him a better person and stuff like that. Next thing I know….”

“He proposed?” Sabrina blurted out. She started bouncing in her seat from excitement. “I knew it. I told you he was going to.”

I stared at her. “No. I mean I thought he was going to, but it turns out he wanted to give me this.” I showed Sabrina, and the others, the white gold heart shaped locket Zayn had given me for Christmas. On the face of the locket, “Always in my Heart” was etched into the metal.

Alexis had a huge grin on her face. “Awe. That’s adorable.”

“I thought he was going to propose.” Sabrina said disappointedly. She had a glum expression on her face.

Cecilia, who had warmed up to Zayn tremendously over the last few months, nodded in agreement. “I did too. You guys are so perfect together.”

“Guys,” Alexis spoke up, “They’ve only been a couple for a few months. Let them have their time together before they make that decision.”

“They have a kid together, Alexis.” Sabrina stated. “And Zayn told her how he felt about her.”

“He always tells me stuff like that.” I pointed out. Sabrina and Cecilia, who were apparently all for Zayn and I getting engaged, glared at me. “What? He does. I hear it all the time. I will say I was a little disappointed that he didn’t ask me to marry him. I would have said yes in a heartbeat though if he did.”

“See Rose. You want him and he wants you. I’m still going to talk to him about proposing. I think he wants to do it, but he doesn’t know if you want to. You just admitted that you want to marry him, so he has to know.” Sabrina said. I could see her brain starting to work on a plan for how to bring that up to Zayn. I didn’t want her to do that for me though. Zayn needed to figure it out for himself.

I shook my head. “Don’t say anything to him. I’m sure he already knows how I feel anyway. There’s no need to pressure him. I don’t even want to think about it right now honestly. Valentina is still getting better, and we need to focus on her. Not us. Well, we do need to focus on us, but we have to put Val first. Look what else he did to the necklace.”

I picked up the locket that was resting against my chest and opened the side of it. On the inside there was an inscription. It said “Valentina Rose” on one side of the locket, and on the other it had her birthday, December 13, 2013.  

“After he gave this me, he said that with this locket, I’d always have Val close to my heart. No matter what, she’ll always be with me. Wherever I was.” I explained.

My three best friends just stared at me. Alexis was the only one to speak up. “That’s the cutest thing ever. I agree with them. You need to marry that man. Now.”

I rolled my eyes at her and took a bite of food. They all did the same, leaving us in silence for a while.

As we sat there not talking, I had some time to think about the conversation we had just had. They all seemed adamant with their opinions on Zayn and I getting married. I knew I loved Zayn with all my heart, and he felt the same way. There was nothing wrong with waiting though. People have kids when they aren’t married. Some of them never get married, and just choose to stay together because they love each other. Deep down I wanted to be a Malik though. Rosemary Malik. It sounded good to me. I knew Zayn would have loved that too.