Chapter 19

I was flipping through one of the old health magazines as I sat in the waiting room at the doctor's office. Zayn and I had our second ultrasound today, and it could have not come at a better time.

It had been three weeks since the whole incident back in Cambridge. My mom called me a few times to try and talk to me, but it ended with us screaming at each other. My dad even tried to talk to me. The only thing on his mind though was "kicking the shit" out of the boy that did this to his baby girl. Katlyn was even calling me, telling me everything she thought about Zayn and who I was as a person. None of them were even concerned about the baby. I knew they wouldn't take the news lightly, but they should at least understand that I'm not the only one being affected. I would gladly keep them out of my life if that is what is best. My entire family had turned on me with the exception of Aleeah. Ray was also there for me. She was the first person I told about the pregnancy and said she would help me through everything. My mom did call her though to tell her I was pregnant. Ray made the mistake of telling her she already knew, and now my mom is even more upset with everything.

Sabrina has helped me out a lot over the last few weeks. She knew the most about me out of the three of my best friends. I had been telling her everything about what was going on with my family, and she couldn't believe the way they were treating me. Even though I was in this sticky situation with my family, Sabrina reassured me over and over that everything was going to be fine.

As I was reading the magazine, I took a second to look at the other people in the waiting room. Thinking about how my family wasn't here for me only made me want to have that support system like the other pregnant women waiting here. I guess I did have Zayn. And Sabrina and Alexis have also been talking to me about how they are going to be with me the whole time. They even offered to bring me to appointments, and that they want to see an ultrasound. I told them I would think about bringing them, but as I thought about it, I kind of just wanted it to be me and Zayn doing these things. If I had to have someone come with me then I'd consider it, but for now, Zayn and I are going to share these experiences of seeing our baby grow together.

Zayn was going to be a great father. He was already so excited for this appointment to see how much our baby has developed over the last five weeks. I was already starting to show a little, and Zayn hadn't seen that yet. It wasn't noticeable when I had my shirt covering my body, but when it was off you could see a little bump starting to appear. He was going to be surprised when he saw me. 

I glanced over at the clock on the wall to see that my appointment was going to start in five minutes. Zayn was late, and I was starting to get irritated by the fact that he told me he would be here fifteen minutes ago. I had to get out of my car and come to check in so I wouldn't be late, and I was starting to think I'd be doing this appointment on my own. That was until I saw a frantic Zayn come rushing into the waiting room. His gaze caught mine, and he quickly made his way over to me, sitting down in the empty seat across from me. 

"Hey." Zayn said to me. He was out of breath, and he quickly ran his fingers through his hair. 

"Hi." I had a bitter tone to my voice. "You're late." 

"Rose, I'm sorry. I-"

"Rosemary Collins." I looked up to see a tanned, brunette nursed standing in the doorway with a file in her hands. I clutched my purse, and walked over to her. Zayn followed behind me. She took us back to a little area where she checked my height and weight. The nurse also checked my blood pressure, and then brought us back to an exam room. She left us there alone to wait for the doctor. 

I sat silently in the exam chair, and started to pick at the skin around my fingernails. 

Zayn decided it was time to break that silence. "You're mad." He pointed out.