Chapter 22

“Are you sure you really want to do this?” Alexis asked me as we got out of her car. “You don’t even have to move out. We’ll all just sacrifice some sleep and quiet if you want to stay. We all talked, and none of us mind.”

“Yeah, and as much as I’d like to get my eight hours of sleep a night, I don’t want you to leave.” Cecilia commented, closing her door with force.

Sabrina was the next to tell me her opinion. “I don’t want you to leave either, Rose. You’re my best friend, and even though you are going through this we don’t want you to go.

The four of us started to walk towards the entrance of the apartment building. It was a plain, red brick building that was a typical look for London. It looked like there were five floors. “I know, and you guys know how much I’d love it to be the four of us still, but I need to do this.”

Sabrina opened the door, and we walked into the main lobby area. A lady dressed in a nice business suit approached us. “Hello ladies. I’m Beth. How can I help you?”

I stepped in front of my friends. “Hi. We’re here, well I’m here to look at an apartment. I called earlier.”

Beth stepped behind a desk, and looked in a planner. “Uh, Rosemary Collins?”

“Yep. That’s me.” I smiled at the woman, extending my hand and shaking her’s.

“Okay, can you just take a seat for me, and I’ll ask you a few questions before I show you the apartment.” Beth left for a moment and went into an office. I could see her picking up some brochures and other paper. I sat down in one of the seats, and Sabrina took the other. Cecilia and Alexis stood to the side. When Beth came back, she sat down and started her questioning. “So Rosemary, why did you choose to come look at these apartments?”

“Well, I’m pregnant, and since I live with these three now I’m starting to think that I’m going to have to live on my own. You know, grow up and be a parent. Also, since I am going to have a baby I wanted a place in a safe neighborhood. Somewhere close to work, and my friends.” I answered honestly. I was hoping that answer would be good enough for her.

“And would it be just you, or do you have a boyfriend, or someone that is supporting you?” She asked me with a serious look on her face.

“I mean, I’d be living by myself. Taking care of me and the baby. I have a job. A good job that pays well, so I’m not really worried about money. I do have people that support me emotionally. The dad, and these three, and a couple other people.” I explained. It looked like Beth wanted to ask me more about the whole father situation, but she was respectful enough to not bring any of that up.

“Did you bring the paperwork I asked you to bring?” She asked. I quickly pulled a folded piece of paper out of my purse that contained my credit information. “Thank you.” Beth took the paper from me, and looked at it.

After a few more questions, Beth told us we could go look at the apartment. She ushered us through the main courtyard that was in the middle of the rectangular building. It wasn’t too big, but it would work for when I wanted to come outside for some fresh air. Even when the baby was a year or two old, they could play outside on the small area of grass. We walked into the door that was at the opposite end of the courtyard, and started to walk up the stairs.

“So,” Beth spoke as we kept walking up, “this is a fourth floor apartment. I don’t know if that is okay with you since it looks like you still have a ways to go before you have your baby.” She was clearly talking about the fact that in a few short months, walking a long distance was going to be tough for me.

“I actually prefer being on an upper floor. I’d feel safer there with the baby and all.” I tell her, but even though I am not that pregnant yet, walking up all the stairs is tiring me out.