× Twelve

UNEDITED

ATTENTION!!: YOU ARE REQUIRED TO LISTEN TO PILLOWTALK ON REPEAT WHILE READING THIS CHAPTER. K THANKS. ILY ❤❤❤❤

Zayn scratched his neck, feeling his stomach churn in odd ways. He really didn't want to break up with Liam. This was the worst thing he's ever had to do.

“I- I've never been in a relationship like this. In fact, I've never been in a serious relationship period.” Zayn spoke, looking down at his fingers.

“It's the best thing that's ever happened to me and for you to be there and try to make me the happiest is amazing and so worthy. You're worth everything to me Liam. And I know you probably don't know where I'm going with this, but I know in my heart that it has to be done.” Zayn's chest ached, his eyes already beginning to water. He didn't want to do this.

“These past few months have been the greatest. They have been the absolute best with my failing essays and drunk dates.” Zayn chuckled, peering up at Liam who gave him the smallest smile. There was a hint of confusion in his eyes and Zayn… Zayn just didn't want to see Liam crying because his heart was going to break even more if he witnessed it.

“But what we have, Liam.” Zayn motioned between both of them.

“What we have will never work.” Zayn's voice broke, he peered up at the ceiling, staring and waiting for a sign to tell him to stop what he was doing. When there wasn't anything, he lowered his head.

“What. That's crazy.” Liam responded, he shook his head and leaned back in his chair.

“No, Liam. This is crazy. Us thinking this could work is absolutely crazy.” Zayn answered hysterically.

“This wasn't supposed to happen! You were supposed to be with that teacher I saw you with in the food court. I shouldn't have even so much as glanced your way. I should have kept moving forward because this is absurd.” Zayn explained, the tears were about to drop down his face but he refused to let Liam see him cry. Not after his first episode.

“You don't mean that.” Liam spoke slowly, running his hands through his hair.

“I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it.” Zayn frowned. There was no way in hell he meant it.

“Zayn. Are you breaking up with me?” Liam questioned, his eyes getting watery.

“Don't cry, Liam. Cause if you cry then I'm gonna cry.” Zayn whispered.

“You're already crying, love.” Liam confessed.

“Liam, I don't know what to do.” Zayn grabbed his hair, pulling it slightly. He wanted to scream, cry, run, anything to stop himself.

“There's nothing left for me to do. I don't have another choice.” Zayn let go, grabbing his things and beginning to get up.

“No, Zayn.” Liam got up too, getting ready for whatever was going to happen.

“This is done.” Zayn didn't even make eye contact with Liam. He turned and started walking.

“Zayn, listen to me. If there's something wrong then tell me. Tell me what's happening.” Liam chased after him, grabbing his arm.

“There's nothing going on.” Zayn stopped. He closed his eyes and willed himself to snap out of Liam's grasp. All he could think was stop me. Stop me.

“Zayn please. Tell me.” Liam begged, his stomach hurting.

“It's nothing, Liam!” Zayn yelled, already at the door.

Liam was at the door too, stopping Zayn and turning him around.

“So if there's nothing wrong, why are you doing this to me? Where did I fuck up? Tell me and I'll fix it. I will fix it, Zayn.” Liam stood strong, he wasn't letting Zayn slip away from him.

“You fucked up when you told me you liked me.” Zayn snapped, letting go and walking away.

A/N: This is short for the sole purpose of feels. :)