6: Broken pieces

Kid's P.O.V:

I woke up feeling rather refreshed today. The alarm rung beside me and I couldn't help but look at it in confusion. It went off at eight like it always had before the unusual pair moved in. That's what made me confused.

It's the second day in a row it's decided not to go off at seven. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's set back to normal, but it's kind of strange knowing Samantha and Connor haven't intruded into a 'no-trespassers' area. They've left my alarm alone. They've left almost everything alone, except for the vase that's standing on a pillar, matching the other on the other side of the room. They moved it a little to the left, but that didn't bother me as much as the painting the tilted down the hall. As long as they didn't break the vases, I'm fine.

The vases, that complete my bedroom. Without these vases, I wouldn't feel quite at home. They were made for me by someone close to my heart and I have them as a reminder that this person will return to me. I walk into my room everyday and see them. It always makes me smile. Believe it or not, besides making sure everything is in order, they help me sleep better.

Exiting my room and heading into the kitchen, I see Sam and Connor eating cereal, as well as my partners standing at the bench talking to them. I don't know what they're talking about, but once I come closer they all go silent. I get the feeling I was being talked about. 

I share eye contact with Samantha, and she instantly looks away and begins eating faster. Rushed mouthfuls and as she's eating, drops of milk fall from her spoon and out of her mouth.

How charming...

She slurps up the rest and pushes the bowel over to Liz. Is she expecting Liz to put it away for her?

"Um excuse me, I do recall mentioning that neither of us are slaves and that you must do your own chores around this household." I say eyeing Sam. She grumbles then stands up to place it in the sink. 

I expected some sort of snide comment to come from her. I didn't think she'd actually obey. Connor finishes up quickly after and does the same with his dishes before beginning to fill the sink up.

"What are you doing? We don't have time to do dishes. We've got to go to school." I said

"They're having a day off, Kid." Liz sighed. "Lord Death wants them to get some rest."

"Rest? From what?" I asked.

Patty was about to answer but Liz covered her mouth. "They were being tested by him, Sid and Professor Stein."

"Why?" I asked. Sam and Connor fidgeted but I ignored them.

"They won't even tell us."  Patty frowned with her arms crossed. I don't like this one bit. More secrets to go about. But now that I look at Connor and Sam more closely they seem pale and in their arms I can spot little needle holes. 

Oh well that's fine then. It's just medical tests. I sigh of relief and smile a little to the two.

"Well, we're off. Please don't trash the house." 

"Don't bet on it," Samantha coughed. Well I see she isn't completely drained of strength. There's the comment I was waiting for all morning. Connor washed and Sam dried and put them away. I could see how she put them away as Liz, Patty and I walked off. She was just putting the bowels away randomly. Nope, she'll never change.

The day went on slow enough. Maka was being followed by her playboy father which she didn't take too fondly. Soul ran off with Black*star somewhere which Tsubaki tried all day to find them. We finally got to see Crona after a long time. He seemed to be doing well, which was good to see.