31: The Old and the New

Kid's P.O.V: 

It's just after dark. Liz, Patty and Connor are all back at Gallow's Manor doing whatever floats their boat and Samantha is supposedly at the Graveyard. I've been walking around for a couple of minutes, maneuvering through all the the Gravestones with the dead sleeping underneath me. It gives me an unsettling feeling, especially as to why Samantha has called me here at this hour of the night. 

I can't see her anywhere. All there is are gravestones, bare trees, hooks and rusted old gates, and a person with a dark hood on, digging a grave at the far end of the cemetery. They have a shovel in hand and a coffin laying beside them. That couldn't be Sam, could it?

No way. Sam wouldn't be digging a grave. Or digging up a grave... Maybe... Just in case, I should probably go and check. 

I change my direction and start walking over to the grave digger. As I get closer I notice that the jumper the person is wearing is very familiar. I think I recall buying Sam that hoodie. Then again, anyone could have bought the same thing, right?

Wrong.

It is in fact Samantha Aileen who is digging a grave, What the hell is she even doing?! That can't be legal. Why does she have a coffin?! Oh Death... She's killed someone, hasn't she?! No! Why do all the good girls have to be the bad ones?!

Sam turns as I get closer with a heavy pounding heart, She stabs the shovel violently into the dirt making me flinch. She wipes off the sweat and then waves with a smile. I gulp and wave back timidly.

Please tell me she didn't dig it up, Pleas in the name of Death, she didn't dig up a dead body!

I stand beside her hesitantly and stare into the hole she's been digging. Or filling in, I'm still not sure which one. I prefer the latter. With a serious gaze I face her and look into her eyes.

"What in the world are you doing?"

Sh grins and moves out of the way to reveal a gravestone.

'Here lies Hannah Rhye, 1998-2010, beloved friend who will be missed by all who knew her.'
'Cause of death= Kishin'

"W-What...?" I trail off. My mind can't seem to process what's going on here right now. This is Hannah's grave? This has never been here before. What is Sam doing with the gravestone of Hannah?

"Surprise!' Sam grins, picking the shovel up and scooping out more dirt from the hole.

"I don't understand..." I mumble. 

"Well then, I guess I have no choice but to explain it then." She digs some more, then hands me a shovel to help her. Reluctantly, I too grab hold and begin digging into the damp earth.

"You see, I'm not big on cliche and cheesy confessions," Sam begins. I almost froze in place hearing 'confession' being uttered. Has she figured out my feelings for her? Of course she has! It's not like I'm obvious or anything...

Or, is she talking about confessing to me?

"Go on." I press forward, taking another chunk of the ground and tossing it out of the forming hole.

"And so," Sam breaths, "I decided to do this."

"Dig a grave?"

"Yep! It's odd it's wacky, and it needs to be done. Your dad had Hannah's body already stored in this here coffin," she gestures her head to the oak wood box tightly sealed, "So I asked if I could bury her. Then I arranged for a spot to be reserved for her, and yeah."

"Don't you... Don't you think it's cruel getting me to help you bury her?"

She stops digging and grips onto the shovel tighter. I stop as well and crouch down whilst looking up to see her face. She looks guilty. oops... I think I made her feel bad. Crap. That's not what I wanted to do...