27: I'm not a man

Sam's P.O.V:

"Sam? What is it?" Connor asks. I tell him to shut up. I need to concentrate. This... Feeling. It's so strong, and I don't know why. I never had this feeling before I came to Death city... But I can feel this pulling tug in my soul.

Connor and I stand at the end of Death city, a few steps out. The surroundings were getting quite dark, almost night. I wanted to leave so Rowena won't get in the way, but this force feels like it's pulling me in! I can't wrap my head around it... What is it?

I take a couple more steps away from the city feeling the pull become stronger. 

"What the hell is this?!" I voice out.

"Huh?"

"Shhh!" 

Connor rolls his eyes and takes a seat on the yellow, sandy road. My thoughts are all over the place! Think clearly, think! What is this... This feeling? If I'm honest, it feels like I'm not completely whole. 

I close my eyes trying to get a reading of what it is. It feels strong, has a lot of power, like nothing I've felt before. Now... Now I see it. There's a soul surrounding the academy. Well, at least that's what I think it is. More like a half soul. How come I've never seen it before? Is that what's pulling me in? It looks as if... Its been ripped and torn apart. All I can imagine is the pain that would bring. Ouch. 

A thought strikes me and I furrow my brows, knitting them together in a desperate attempt to make sense of it.

"Connor." I call walking over to where he sat playing with the sand. He looks up and nods for me to speak. "The promise my dad wanted me to fulfill. What was it." It came out more as a demand than a question, but I wanted answers.

His body visibly tenses before he relaxes his shoulder and stands up dusting himself off. "Well... Uh.. Sam, we should be going now, don't you think? Haha." He laughs awkwardly. Connor clears his throat and begins marching forward. Oh no, Connor. This is not how we play. 

I grab hold of his shirt collar and fling him onto the ground with a foot on his chest to hold him down.

"You know the promise, don't you? I thought we agreed not to keep secrets? Tell me. Now."

He swallows his nerves and his breath comes out shaky.

"Look... Uh... Well... Your soul. It's split. Half is in the academy. Its magic is what helped with the construction of it! If you're killed, the half soul in the school will perish and so will the building!"

"Why am I being pulled to it?!" I shout.

"I... I don't know! It wasn't like that before! I'm assuming that since you've take residence in Death City, you split soul wants to connect back with it!" 

Unbelievable.

"And, how long, exactly, have I been living with a split soul?!" I yell at the squirming boy below me. Connor shakes and quivers before me. He's like my prey and I'm the predator. He shrugs saying he doesn't know exactly how long, just that it was extracted from me when I was young.

You're kidding me. I can't believe this! By doing that, my father could have killed me! Does he realise how life threatening it is to split someone's soul?! He could have sacrificed my life, and for what? My protection?! Well, it's bloody hard to keep someone safe hen they're already dead! It wouldn't have done any good if I hadn't of survived that process! UGH!

Connor notices my distress and shoves my foot of him to sand back up again. He places a comforting hand on my shoulder and smiles calmly. 

"He died for you, remember that. You are still standing too, so don't forget that either."