26: Not the Time to play Hero

Kid's P.O.V:

Just as Connor and Sam said. On the dot, Rowena, posing as Hannah, came home. 

"Have you got a plan?" Liz questions. 

"Not at all," I reply honestly. It's not my usual tactic. I always have a plan, but as of now I have nothing. My best chance is to just catch her off guard and pray to death that she won't kill me or figure out that I know. For this situation, we're just going to wing it.

"Play it smooth, okay? Wait until we have an opening." I tell them. I instruct them to stay in weapon form no matter what happens. If I die, I die. The last thing I want is for the two girls who make me feel at ease to get killed because of my recklessness. It'll be safer for them. no way am I letting them die on my watch.

I descend from the second floor with caution. I have to remember that she's a Grand witch. Stronger than Medusa, stronger than Arachne. She's a completely new foe. I'm not even sure that what me, Liz and Patty can do will be enough to defeat her. In that case, we're going to die, no doubt. We don't stand a chance, but miracles can happen. I just hope that one will somehow show up.

"Kid? Are you home, sweetie?" She calls out from the lounge. I used to think that it was my dear Hannah, but hearing that daughter-of-a witch say it sends a shiver down my spine. 

"Talk about sick love." Liz mumbles.

"Hush. Not a word out of you two."

Rowena walks around the lounge and finally turn around seeing me on the very last step. I walk with caution over to her, but I try my best to make it look as if I'm not some cop on a cold case.

"Kid! Thank goodness! What in the world happened?" She asks, frantically gesturing to the lounge room. She walks over to the wall and fixes one of the paintings. Ugh, she's so convincing, it's difficult to not believe it's Hannah! Although, the help is appreciated. That's one less thing I have to worry about.

"Morgana," I pause briefly letting the name of the witch settle into 'Hannah's'  mind, then continue, "Came back and gave a final parting gift." I answer her question. My tone came out as bored and tired. Almost as if I was tired of Sam. Pfft, never. 

The girl turns her head slightly my way, and the light was aligned perfectly for me to see the true colour of her eyes. The chocolate brown had a blue tinge to it. The familiar sapphire blue of Rowena. Her eyes, seem inhuman. They're filled with caution, suspicion and evil. Then, they go back to the bright, innocent eyes she's been playing all this time. She smiles and faces me with a sad look, apologetic, almost.

"So, she's leaving too, huh?" She chuckles.

"What do you mean by 'too'?" I question. I'm also trying to make myself have that saddened look. Whether it's convincing or not, I'll never know.

"I didn't tell you?" She breaths. She doesn't have to. She's leaving, just like Connor and Sam predicted. "I'm leaving today. My family want me back in Germany."

Lies! I want to scream, but I can't. I need to let the inner actor in me take over. Deep breaths.

"But... I-I only just got to see you after so long!" I exclaim. Nice delivery of lines if I say so myself.

"I know, but I really must be going," she says while walking towards me. She cups my face and when I look into her eyes, I pay close attention to the blue that's beginning to become more and more visible. The evil witch opens the door and walks out into the evening lit world. Now's my chance, while she's turned away. I hold Patty and Liz in my hands and aim carefully at her.