004📌

《What's your favorite book?》

_______

Everest let out a groan as he hit the ground. The pain, originating from his neck, has gotten worse affecting his ability to stand. Everest doesn't know why but he knows that the bite mark on his neck is the source that's causing him all the pain he's in.  Clary looks down at him with worry. "Everest," she said as she kneeled down next to him. His chest was moving fast as he tried to catch his breath. The pain weakening him and increasing with every breath.  Clary looked up just in time to see Captain Vargas walking up the stairs

Clary stood up and Everest after her, taking more effort due to the lack of energy. "Captain Vargas"

"It's 2:00 in the morning. What are you doing here so late?" She asked looking at Everest for a brief second before making eye contact with Clary. Thanks to the hair in his eyes, Captian Vargas couldn't see how much color his face lost. 

"Um...Luke said he'd, uh, drive us home if he was still here"

"Still doesn't trust those cabbies, huh. Well, he's in the middle of an interview. It could take a while" she said. Everest nodded, biting his lip to keep from grimacing at the pain.

 "Cool, we'll just wait in the cafeteria," Everest said his lips forming a smile that isn't real, trying to hide the fact that he couldn't stop shaking. 

 "Hey, uh... is there some sort of problem," Captain Vargas asked. "Guy trouble?"

"Yeah, sure," Clary said. "Guy trouble, Its, uh... something like that." They then walked away. Everest couldn't hold himself up anymore and stumbled. Clary caught him almost falling against his weight. "Everest...Everest what's wrong" she asked scared. He closed his eyes, crumpling his shirt in his hands as he felt the pain travel from his neck to his chest. He tried his best to control his breathing before nodding.

"It's okay, come on," he said. Clary looked at him, not for a second believing him but trusting that Everest knows his limits. She helped him down the stairs.
________

"The minute we found out Jocelyn Fairchild was alive, you were easy to track," the man with a menacing look, said. A woman was standing beside him, dark skin and curly hair. Luke in front of them with a look that Luke would only give to the people he brings in. That look gave Everest an idea as to how bad these people must be. Both him and Clary stayed hidden. "Fairchild?" Clary questioned.

 "Turns out you and Jocelyn were never that far apart. The Circle has her now. It's just a matter of time until we catch the daughter and son"

"You can have them if you give up the mortal cup," the woman said.

"I don't care about either of them. They mean nothing to me" Clary gasped as Everest murmured a curse or two. He knows Luke, all his life. Luke is the only person Everest sees as a father figure. He knows the kind of person Luke is. Something is tugging at his gut, whether it's the pain or a gut feeling, Everest couldn't tell. "Kill them if you like. My people want the cup. Why do you think I've been hanging around here all these years"

"So much for trusting Luke" Everest mumbled.

"Now, when I find the cup... I'm gonna keep it and you can tell Valentine and the Circle that" he said standing up.