002

Everest's eyes followed the hologram, the words blaring in his face in bold red, 'WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE'  

"Aldertree said he wanted to rescue Jace," Clary spoke, shaking her head in confusion. 

"Actually, Clary, I said I wanted to find him," Aldertree spoke as he walked in front of them to stand in the middle of the room, right next to Jace's hologram. "And you gave me the clue I needed to do just that." Everest looked at Clary, who shook her head. 

"What did you tell him?" Alec asked harshly. 

"Alec, it-" Clary spoke, only to get cut off. 

"Is this everyone?" Aldertree asked. "Fantastic."

Everest crossed his arms, worry blooming in his chest. New faces, more problems. 

"First up, all downworlders are forbidden from entering the institute without my prior approval," Aldertree announced. 

"Bullshit," Everest hissed.  

"For those still present, good day." Everest looked at Simon. "Mr. Graymark..."

"I'm not leaving Jocelyn," Luke responded. "Besides, my badge gives access to resources that you don't have. I can help you find Jace."

"That's generous of you," Aldertree responded. "But I'm going to have to insist." 

Luke turned to Jocelyn. "Call me when you can," he said. Jocelyn agreed. 

"You too..." Everest stared at him in disbelief.  "Simon...Simon, right?"  

"It's almost dawn," Simon said. "I don't have anywhere to go." 

"Hey, you're a smart guy, I'm sure you'll figure something out," Aldertree told him as he patted his shoulder. 

Everest went to say something but Izzy's eyes told him not too. He agreed. Too much was going on, getting out of line would jeopardize any chance of helping Jace. So Everest did the one thing he hated most, staying silent. 

He had to think smart. He had to stop thinking with his heart and start thinking with his head and playing the game right, even when it felt like it was two against one.  

"Simon, come on," Luke called to him. Everest thanked him with his eyes to which Luke gave him a barely-there nod. 

"I'll be okay," Simon whispered to them. Everest squeezed his forearm, a reassuring way of letting Simon know that Everest was there for him, before letting go. 

Everest watched as Luke and Simon walking away as Aldertree spoke. "Now... Let's get to it." 

"I reviewed your statement, along with the reports of your unsanctioned missions." Everest turned back to him, interested to see what he play will be next. "And I can come to no other conclusion that Jace Wayland is a traitor to the Clave." 

Everest tightly squeezed his fist until his knuckles turned white, anger flowing in him. If Jace was treated as a traitor, they would treat him as they did Valentine. "Jace is not a traitor," Alec spoke up. 

"Point of fact. Clary said Jace called to warn you about Valentine's trap, which got me thinking..." Everest stared at him. "Jace had multiple chances to kill Valentine but chose to let him leave. " Everest knew why Jace hesitated but Aldertree didn't need another chance to crucify Jace anymore than he already is. "Now, Valentine, Jace, and the Cup are missing. Do the math." 

"There is no way we're going to help you hunt Jace," Clary spoke up. 

"And I'd never ask you too," Aldertree responded, smugly. "You and your friends are prohibited from any further involvement for the hunt for Jace Wayland." The disbelief showed on Everest's face way more than he wanted it. "What?" Izzy exclaimed softly.