023

HEY GUYSS

_____________________________________________________

Everest looked at what remained of his house, the house he had known since forever. Clary's room was burned. Nothing of her remained and maybe that was what their mother was trying to do. Erase them from ever existing to keep them safe.

 Everest wondered off from the rest into his own room. It was the same as Clary's, burned. His bookshelf was no longer holding as its shelves were hanging. The many books he had read over and over again, burned. Some just the edges, others didn't have that luxury for they had been turned to ashes. His drawings on the walls, unrecognizable. His right foot stepped on something making him look down to find his old childhood book his mother would read to him every night before going to bed because that was the only way that he could sleep with all the nightmares that he dreamed up. 

Everest sighed, picking up the book that was barely burned. A  smile grew on his lips, happy that it survived. It has been so long since he had actually seen it because, by the age of 11, Everest decided that he was strong enough to go to sleep without it.  Everest put it in his back pocket for safe keeping. 

Alec looked back to see that Everest was gone but a soon as Alec was about to go looking, he appeared at the door. Everest gave him a smile. Simon was kneed down, a cupboard was taken out. "Another score for Brooklyn" Everest gave Clary a look of confusion. "Hey, out of the way," Alec said pushing Simon away before kneeing down.  "You're welcome" 

Alec stuck his hand inside, searching for something. His movements become certain making Everest believe that he had found something. "There's something down here," he said. Moments later, he pulled out the box with the letters JC engraved on the front. It was small and wooden. It had dust on it, meaning that the box was there for a while. "Is this the box you remember?" Alec asked.  Everest reached out, taking it into his hands. It was the box. The same one that made his mother cry with painful tears. He remembered one day seeing her holding it in her hands and silently crying as if she had lost something. "Yeah" Everest mumbled softly while looking at it. 

"She used to wait till she thought I was asleep and then take it out," Clary said. "Well, let's open it," Everest handed the box to Clary for her to open.  The box opened to reveal nothing of what he thought was in there for years. "I don't know what any of this is," Clary said surprise also on her face. Inside there was a baby's shoe, a rattle and a lock of hair that was as white as Everest's. Everest stared at the ideas. 

It didn't make sense to him. Those couldn't be his because while his mother cried, she gave off this aura of want and regret. Even at a young age, Everest could feel emotions as clear as day if he tried. There was something missing. It was there, at the tip of their tongue. Something important. 

The sound of glass shattering made them turn towards the sound. Alec pushed through. "There's someone here," he said. "Get what you need. Do not move until I get back. We've been here too long," Clary stuffed the box into her bag as Alec talked. 

Alec walked out the door, possible to fight off anyone of a threat. Everest looked at Clary.  "I know what you're thinking, I don't think it's mine. What's in the box, I don't think it's mine. We're missing something here, I can feel it" Everest said. 

Suddenly, they were being held. Arms retraining them. Everest struggled against them, looking that at who they were. Three guys. One he knew, others he didn't. "Alaric. what the hell" Everest exclaimed. Handcuff on him along with Simon and Clary. They dragged them out the loft and to a black car. "Hey, for real. Let go of me" Alaric's hands had a sort of supernatural grip on Everest's forearm.  "Let go. Seriously, Alaric" Clary shouted as she got shoved inside. "You're making a big mistake," Everest said, looking at him before he was also pushed inside. His head bumping the car roof. He hissed in pain, glaring at the man in the front. He looked out the window to see Alec running at full speed but the car had already driven away.