B2:001

_____________________

Everest entered the garden with Clary, his mom waiting for them there. Everest watched as she turned to face them and within seconds, all three of them were wrapped into each other's embrace. Everest smiled into his mother's shoulders. He missed her more than anyone will ever know and to be back together again, felt amazing. They pulled away as Jocelyn gripped their hands in hers. "I'm sorry," she said, looking between them. "I never meant for any of this to happen. All I've ever wanted to do is protect you." 

"We know," Clary spoke up. "But we aren't kids anymore. You don't have to protect us."

"Yes, I do," Jocelyn sighed. 

"By telling us lies," Everest spoke. 

"Everest," Jocelyn mumbled. 

"It's our life, mom, we have the right to know," Everest continued. Since the moment they were thrust into this life, Everest had always been weighted down by the fact that he knew nothing and because of this, he worked twice as hard to keep up the pace with the rest. 

"I was scared," Jocelyn said, concern written on her face. 

"Because you married a psychopath, our father," Clary spoke up, crossing her arms. 

Everest watched his mother's expression change to one of disbelief. 

"So, you know?" Jocelyn spoke. 

"Mom, how could you?" Clary said. Yes, Everest couldn't shake the feeling that his father was this kind of person but he knew that his mother was better than this. 

"Oh, Clary. Everest," she sighed, gently. "Your father wasn't always like this." 

"We deserve to know who we really are," Everest spoke.

"I know," Jocelyn said, turning towards him. "and I promise from now on, no more lies." 

"Okay," Clary said. "I have something for you." Everest glanced at Clary in confusion before following right behind her and his mother. 

They sat down as they did, Clary took our Jace's box. Everest's eyes landed on his mother, reading her. "Where did you get this?" she asked, taking the box from Clary. 

"Under the floorboards," Everest answered as she opened it. "When I was younger, I watched you take it out and your whole being would fill up with sadness, grief." Everest bends down in front of his mother. "I used to think it was about our father but I know, now that it about our brother, my twin." 

"Jonathan," Jocelyn whispered and the same grief that pained Everest appeared. 

"His name is Jace," Everest spoke up. "He's alive." 

Everest watched his mother, instead of happiness, he saw fear. "That's impossible." 

"You don't understand," Jocelyn said, looking between them. "I saw them burn." 

Everest couldn't help the horror that filled him at the news, causing him to stand up. "I..." He was interrupted by Luke, who walked in. "Sorry, I just wanted to make sure everything was okay." 

"Luke?" Jocelyn said as she stood up. 

"You alright?" he asked. 

"Is it true?" His mother asked Luke. "Is Jonathan alive?" 

"I couldn't believe it either, at first but..." Luke was cut off by Simon walking in. 

Everest stood back. "Hey, guys," Simon greeted. 

Everest felt an urgency with his mother at the news that Jonathan was alive. An urgency you felt with danger. Why? 

"Simon," Jocelyn asked.