Chapter 2: Meeting Haddock

Astrid's POV

It's been two weeks since I started at the school and this 'Haddock' boy - who I still didn't know the name of, because everyone referred to him by his last name or as 'Fishbone' or some other mean name. Liam and I have been out three times already. He was nice. But if I'm going to be honest. I don't really like him 'that way' as people say. It was a Friday morning and I was at my locker when I heard a bang down the hall a little bit and turned to look. It was the Haddock boy. This Sam guy and his friends pushed him and tripped him causing him to drop all his books. I actually felt bad for him. I shut my locker and walked over to them. Sam and his friends were laughing.

"What's your problem?" I said to Sam.

"He was in the way." Same said pointing to Haddock.

The boy looked up at them and rolled his eyes. I glared at Sam.

"I know that's a lie, because I saw all of you push and trip him. What do you have against him anyway?"

"Umm, he's a loser." Sam said.

"So that gives you an excuse to push him around. You obviously have no life."

Sam scoffed at me and walked away with his friends. I shook my head and rolled my eyes at him. I turned to see Haddock finishing getting up from the floor and I helped him.

"You okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine." He said not looking at me.

"Okay." I said and turned to walk away.

"Hey Astrid." He called. I stopped in my tracks and looked at him.

"You know my name?"

"Of course. So many people talk about you. I also sit next to you in all our classes, and see you write your name on everything you write on." He said.

I just stared at him. "People talk about me?" I asked. He nodded. "W-what do they say?" I asked walking towards him again.

"Just how smart you are, how pretty you are, different you are. I mean no one really knows anything about you yet. You only really been talking to that Liam guy. Who, by the way, is a complete ass. I don't know what you see in him."

"He made an effort to talk to me my first day." I said to him.

"Yeah, because your hot." He said. I looked at him and blushed slightly. Trying to make sure he didn't notice.

The bell rang for class to start and we both walked to History class together.

"What's your name?" I finally asked him.

"Hiccup." He said kind of quietly.

"That's a...interesting name." I said.

He looked at me. "It's a stupid name." He said. "At least yours is considered a real name, even though it's different. Mine is different. But stupid."

I didn't say anything for a minute. We were almost to the classroom when I said one last thing.

"I like different." I smiled at him opening the door and we went to our seats and sat down.

Oh and before I forget. Miss Louis permanently switch Sam's seat to the front and center so I could have his. Let's just say he wasn't too thrilled about that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After school was over I was walking down the sidewalk when I heard someone call my name. I turned around to see Hiccup. I smiled a little.

"Hey!" I said as he caught up to me.

"Hey. Where are you going?" He asked.

"Home?" I said looking at him confused. "As much as I don't really want too."

He looked at me curious. I looked at him.

"You don't wanna know. Trust me."

"Where do you live?"

"Valley Apartments. It's about a 20 minute walk from school."

He looked at me. "Really?" He said. "I live like 5 minutes from there. 10 minutes walking. My dad owns the mansion that's down the street a little bit. My dad's the mayor."

"Really? Than why do you get picked on?" I asked.

"Because of my name, and how little I am. I mean before I had a growth spurt, even most girls were taller than me."

We walked in silence for a few minutes when I heard my phone go off. I looked at it. It was a text from Liam.

Liam: Wanna hang out tonight?

I stared at it for bit before locking my phone and putting it back in my pocket. Hiccup looked at me.

"Liam?" He asked. I nodded. "What does he want?"

"Hang out tonight. But I don't know if I want too. Depends on my mom when I get home."