Chapter 10: Addictions

Astrid's POV 

I woke up the next morning and stretched out. I opened my eyes and jumped at the sight of someone sitting on the edge of my bed. 

"Oh my gods! Hiccup!" I said sitting up. "What are you doing?" I said. I than held my head as I felt it pounding. "Ow." I said softly to myself. 

"Headache?" He asked sounding annoyed. I looked at him confused. 

"What's wrong?" I asked. 

"Why did you punch Kara Williams yesterday?" He asked looking at me. I sighed. 

"Cause she deserved it." 

"Astrid, no one deserves it. Did she make you mad?" 

"Yes. I was at my locker and she came up and started talking about my life, and my parents and how they're in jail. She said she knows what Liam did to me. That my mom was knocked up with me when she was my age. She said she's surprised that I'm not knocked up yet. She called you a loser." I told him. "I got so angry that I just punched her." I said. 

"I'm sorry she did that Astrid. That's none of her business. Can I ask you something else?" 

"What's up?" 

"Why were you drunk when I came home yesterday?" 

"Cause I had some drinks."

"But why?" 

"Because, whenever I'm mad or upset or frustrated, I drink. I've been drinking since I was 14." 

"Well, I'm staying home with you today." He said getting up. He left my room and went downstairs. I got out of bed and went to have a shower. When I was done I went downstairs to get something to eat and I opened the fridge and grabbed some orange juice, I went to the counter and noticed that all the alcohol was gone. I sighed and figured Hiccup hid it all well I was in the shower. 

~~~~ A few weeks later ~~~~

It was a Saturday afternoon and I've been living with Hiccup for a little over a month now. I was outside on my balcony and lighting a cigarette. I can only smoke when Hiccup isn't around or not home. He already knows about me drinking when I'm mad. I need to hide this from him. I was leaning on the balcony thinking I heard a car come in the drive way. I ignored it. Next thing I knew I heard Hiccup's voice from my bedroom door. 

"Astrid? Where are you?" I heard. 

"I'm on the balcony." I said. Not really thinking about the cigarette I had in my hand. When I saw him closer to me I dropped it on the cement and stepped on it and kicked it off. 

"Why do I smell smoke?" He asked. I didn't say anything and didn't look at him. I had my hands in my pockets and went to pull them out and pulled out my pack of cigarettes and lighter by accident and they dropped to the ground. I leaned down to pick it up and I saw Hiccup's hand beat me to it and I looked at him. He had an upset and mad look on his face. We both stood up. 

"You smoke?" He asked. I didn't say anything. "Astrid." 

"Yes. I smoke." I said. Hiccup sighed. "Same amount of time I've been drinking before you ask." 

"Why?" 

"It's my escape." I told him. I walked inside and he followed me. We went  downstairs to the kitchen and I opened the fridge. 

"Astrid. I don't want you smoking, or drinking." 

"Why?" 

"Because you're gonna mess up your body. I don't care if you have drink once in a while or something, but don't get drunk all the time." 

"I don't." 

"Astrid, I had to hide and lock up the alcohol in this house so you won't get plastered. Now I have to take cigarettes from you too. How did you even get them? You're not old enough." 

"It's called a fake I.D." I told him. 

"Give it to me." He said holding his hand out.