Chapter 8: Hospital Bills

Astrid's POV 

I woke up to a bright light and beeping sounds and sounds of voices all around me. I tried to move and get up and let out a short scream of pain. There was nurses on me right away laying me back down. 

"You need to stay laying down." One of them told me. I looked at her confused. 

"Why?" I asked. 

"You have a bullet in your upper chest." She told me. I than remembered what happened before I was brought into the ambulance. My mother shot me and was taken by police in handcuffs. 

"Where's Hiccup?" I asked. 

"Who's Hiccup?" She asked. 

"I want him with me." I said. The nurse nodded and left the area and shut the curtain of the bed I was in, in the E.R.  

Author's POV 

Hiccup was pacing back and forth in the waiting room waiting to hear something from someone. He heard a male voice call his name and looked up to see his father. 

"Dad!" Hiccup said. 

"What is going on? Why are you here?" Stoick asked him. 

"Astrid's here. She was shot. Her mom shot her." Hiccup explained. 

"Who's Astrid?" Stoick asked. 

"The girl I took out on a date tonight." Hiccup said. 

"Ahhh, I see." Stoick said. 

"Hiccup Haddock?" Someone said Hiccup turned around to see a nurse. He walked over to her right away. 

"Is she okay?" 

"She's stable. We need to get an x-ray of her chest to see where the bullet is. But she wants to see you." The nurse told him. "Come with me." 

Hiccup and Stoick followed her to the section Astrid was in. 

Astrid's POV 

I laid silently on the bed trying not to move when I saw the curtain pull back and Hiccup walk in. 

"Hiccup." I said. He came over and hugged me gently. There was an older man behind him. he had more red hair than auburn, but the same green eyes as Hiccups. If I had a guess I would say it's his father. 

"Astrid. Are you okay?" Hiccup asked. I nodded trying to reassure him. 

"I'm fine. Just in pain. They haven't really told me anything about what's going on though." I said. I looked towards Hiccup's father. "Who's this?" I asked. Hiccup looked at him. 

"Astrid, this is my dad. Stoick Haddock. He's are mayor." Hiccup said. I smiled at him. 

"It's very nice to meet you." I told him. Stoick smiled at her. 

"You as well lass. Hiccup I'll be in the waiting room." Stoick said and Hiccup nodded as he father left us alone. Well alone as you could be in a hospital emergency room, in a small section covered only by curtains. A nurse came in and told me that they wanted to take an x-ray of my chest to see where the bullet was. 

~~~~~~ 
After the x-ray they brought me back to the E.R. and Hiccup was waiting with me. A doctor came in. 

"Alright, Astrid. We need to do a surgery to get the bullet out. Okay?" 

I nodded. "Okay." The doctor gave me a small smile and asked to talk to Hiccup. Hiccup kissed my head and left with him. I assumed they were whispering because I wasn't able to hear them. 

Author's POV 

"Mr.Haddock, I know Astrid from previous hospital visits, and from her mother coming intoxicated. I also know that Astrid is in no state to pay for this surgery. Or even these bills she's going to get from the E.R and for her x-ray. The problem is, we have to do this surgery. But I want to know. If you're okay with it." The doctor said. Hiccup thought for a moment and nodded. 

"Do the surgery. I'll  take care of payments for her." Hiccup said. The Doctor nodded and went to have the nurses prep Astrid for surgery. Hiccup went back to her and she smiled when he came in. "I'll see you after you wake up from surgery, okay?" Hiccup said kissing her forehead. Astrid nodded. 

"Okay. Will you be in my room?" She asked. 

"You want me too?" He asked. She nodded. "Okay. I'll try to be." He told her. Astrid smiled and Hiccup left to go to the waiting room. The nurses came and rolled Astrid to the O.R. 

Hiccup found his dad and told him what was going on. Stoick felt bad for the girl. 

"Dad. Can she stay with us for a while?" Hiccup asked. "I don't want her alone in her apartment. She lives in some of the worst apartments and area in town. I don't want her there anymore." Hiccup said to his father. Stoick looked at him. 

"I'll think about it." He told Hiccup. Hiccup nodded and Stoick left the hospital.